Hello from NC, new (to me) 1997 Gti

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

archaea

He all, I've been lurking for a few months and just decided to join up!

I bought a 1997 GTI this winter (my very first jetski) and have just got it going full time. When I tried it out after I bought it (It doesn't freeze in NC until late december), it bogged down under full throttle. I did a google search and found this forum!

Long story short, it had old gas and old grey fuel lines, and the fuel selector valve got closed. I replace the fuel lines and if I keep the selector on reserve it now runs pretty good. (after it warms up, more on that later)

The last two weekends my kids (15 and 18, both have licenses) have run through about 4 tanks of gas and are having a blast!

A couple questions:

The ski seems to take a long time to "warm up" after starting. We need to idle it about 3-4 minutes after starting before we can give it any gas. I think maybe the carbs need to be rebuilt? It runs great after the warm up.

The fuel selector valve is definitely got a plug in the on position, but seems to work fine on reserve. The ski has a fuel gauge and we are never far from a fuel dock, so I'm not sure this is a problem. Any thoughts?

Also, the graphics are a bit old and faded, and the rubber mat on the back of the deck is deteriorating badly. I don't want to sink a lot of money into a 16 year old ski, but is it easy to get or replace these? How much life might this ski have in it?

Thanks in advance, I've already received lots of help just by browsing the forum.

Archaea

1. Clean the fuel selector or buy a good used. PM minnetonka4me
2. Pull the carb and evaluate. Spend the $45, get the rebuild kit and do it right, do it once. At the least the filter needs to be cleaned.
3. Hydro-turf kit. $100 well spent.

I personally love this particular ski, sad to have sold mine and will probably own another in the future. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Great hull and simple, reliable engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back