FUNNY STORY about pump cone oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Seadoobuddy

Premium Member
Premium Member
It's been about 3 yrs since I had the oil changed in the GSXL (only used about 4-5 time in FL)….so I bought some Lucas 90W gear oil and took the cone off Thursday afternoon and let the old oil just drip out onto a lot of newspaper. I then wrapped that in more but clean paper and put it in the trash can which will be collected on Friday. As always it smelled pretty bad, even my wife remarked about it. She made keep the garage door open until I took the can out for pick up.
………….

So Friday morning I see a voicemail on phone from my neighbor Bob (sent about 11:20 last night) and was saying something about a gas leak. ….(bad area for reception so I couldn't understand everything) I saw him leave for work and he clued me in. About 11pm last night another neighbor smelled the gear oil and thought it was natural gas leak, He called Bob to tell him and both went out and smelled a rotten egg smell. They called the gas company and they called the fire dep't. All lights on the trucks were flashing at about 11:30pm plus a few more neighbors came out. We went to bed just before 11 and zonked right out. Bob said someone knocked on our door to tell us about the leak but we didn't hear it…..(afraid to ring the bell in case of spark)…..well anyways someone traced the smell to my can and then FD wrapped to in a plastic bag. Bob said that they figured out that the small was the lube on the paper.

Needles to say I apologized for the inconvenience and then he laughed about it once he knew. I have yet to speak to the other neighbors :) :)
I told him I was used to the smell since I have another up north and work on that one too.

I hope we are still friends after this. :)

I guess that smell carries a long ways.

The oil that was in your pump was probably SeaDoo oil and it is foul smelling.

BTW throwing used oil in the trash is really not the proper way of disposing of used oil, it should be collected in a container and recycled. Most auto parts stores and oil change facilities will accept used oil.

Lou

Official Ford Grease has the same smell. I smelled it when I walked into our ambulance garage. Walked up to the head mechanic. Before I said a word, he said: Your the tenth Paramedic to say the place smells like gas.
I said : No, I was going to say: You smell like ass!

Back