2023 GTX smoke

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Koren

Last year we bought Sea doo GTX, dealer brought this to us over the water. After that, we used it once and parked it for about 1 year.
Today my friend tried starting it just to check the battery. But he did it while it was not in the water and ran it for 5-10 seconds.
He saw a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust right after start up and cut it off asap.
I called the dealer and they said it is not normal, even if it has been parked for a long time. Anyone experienced this? Someone suggested to run it in the water for 5-10 min and see if the smoke goes off. I checked the oil level - it's right where it needs to be and the oil is clear as new.
Probably will call the dealer to send a mechanic to perform annual service and ask him if I can run it. Any other ideas?

I'm not a mechanic, but there are a few things this could be. Dirty fuel intake system and/or old gas could be burning too rich, or it could be leaky valve seals, etc. Was it possibly fogged after the last run?
Myself, I would make sure old gas is removed, and try running in the water (or with proper flush hose running) with fresh gas for a few minutes. If the smoke clears, perform your annual maintenance with fresh oil change, plugs, etc. G2G

Yea ... We got a brand new GTR 230 in Sep of last year. We put 4 hours on it before the off season. I just started it yesterday, and there was a lot of smoke but it did clear after a couple of seconds (also out of the water); I suspect this is due to the piston rings not being fully sealed yet.

You may want to run a You Tube search for engine break in procedures. From what I viewed, engine "experts" (not sure of their credentials) recommend a more aggressive break in than most people think. Some think you should baby the engine when it's new, but it turns out that's the worst thing for seating the piston rings.

Back