WTB - Steering Pad Cover 95 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

earnhardtjp

Looking for yellow steering pad cover 95 XP. Prefer new but could settle for a used one that is in good shape and does not have black spotting or tears. Thanks

Steering cover for 95 XP

Hey, earnhardtjp, a few questions about your problem do you have the cover that was on the ski or did you throw it away, because there is a product called plasti dip, you can get it in a spray or in a tub to brush on this stuff is great and will last for awhile let me know if you have a question about it.

I am needing one as well for a '97 SPX. Been wondering why I could not use some marine grade upholstery vinyl and glue it over the existing cover. The material would have to be thin, but would be a definite improvement over the stained and sticky mess.

hey fireball, that would probably work but if you are on a budget than the plasti dip would be better because i is only about 6 bucks a can, and you would not have to worry about it coming off at high speed let me know what you decide.

is there a place to purchase new steering pads ? i need a few of them. 96 XP 92-93-89 SP. anybody know of a place ? jbake, have you used this stuff ? have any pics of it on a pad ? thanks

Sorry i dont have any pics of the pad that i used it on i have already sold it but i do know it works very well on that stuff

yes it does look good it is an egg shell finish though

New guy here, and this thread looks super useful!

Did you remove your steering cover to apply the plastidip or did you leave it on and mask around it?

My SPX has the sticky steering cover and I've decided to try the plastidip approach. You have to flex the cover quite a bit to get it back on; I wouldn't want the new coating to crack and peel off from the flexing. So I'd appreciate your input on that subject.

113.jpg

114.jpg

Everything seems good so far. I went with the spray on Plasti Dip and I was able to get a finish that looks very similar to the original; but in mildew obscuring black instead of yellow. There's no feelings of stickiness to the cover anymore and the finish feels sturdy. I'll try to post an after-season report on how it holds up to a summer of water and sun.

I'm looking forward to dropping this bad boy in the water and having some fun!

You are the MAN! I am definitely doing it! So, did you take it off to coat it and if so were there any issues getting it back on? How much of the coating did you use? I have 2 skis to do. Will one can cut it or should I get two?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are the MAN! I am definitely doing it! So, did you take it off to coat it and if so were there any issues getting it back on? How much of the coating did you use? I have 2 skis to do. Will one can cut it or should I get two?

I left it on the seadoo and simply masked around the handles and covered the rest of the seadoo in a tarp to prevent overspray. I sprayed on three coats a couple of hours apart and let it cure for around 2 days. 1 can will probably take care of two skis; but I'd go ahead and pick up two just in case. I also recommend going with a dark color so that it covers up any old stains and is too dark to show any possible new ones.

great!

My covers have "smudges" or small gouges where the sticky crap smudged if that makes sense. It isnt entirely smooth.

Did yours have similar marks or was yours smooth? Because yours looks great now.

Yeah, if you look to the upper right of center on my close up picture, you can see the smudging/gouging. It was only a small one, but it's there.

Hey Scooba128,
This was very helpful man, thanks a lot. I just purchased a 1995 Seadoo XP 800 last year and I am in the process of restoring the whole outer body to make it look up to date. Instead of spending close to $120 dollars to purchase a new steering cover, I am going to go with your advise! I'll post before and after pictures up!
Pete
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Back