WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

OGs

I was changing the exhaust manifold on my 717 (98 GS) when all of a sudden , SNAP! One of the bolts broke in the manifold. So i proceed to extract the broken screw and completely fail drilling into the crankcase. -_-
Having a spare 717, i took the crank case off the engine in the ski, and replaced it with the one from my spare engine. While i had the head and cover off , i noticed mine was looking rough. Looked like it had an orange algae/crust/goo Idk what to call it , so i replaced it with my Spare engine head and cover. I torqued it to 17ft lbs. i have not cranked it tho cause i wanted to talk to the pros first lol. So now that that’s out of the way, what am i to expect? What should be my next step and precautionary advice measures to not blow the engine? Or maybe (?) Have i already Damaged by taking the crankcase off?

I need some pictures to understand what happened. I don't quite understand how you can drill into the crank cases drilling on the exhaust manifold. Here is a picture of the manifold. Perhaps you can help me understand what happened. :)
Roe's Ski Final Work (1).JPEGSPX Engine Assemble Paint (1).JPEG

Reactions: OGs
I’m guessing he drilled into the jug, not the crank case. Looks like potential for air leaks

Mybad. When the screw broke, The manifold came off. So I was drilling into where the screw screws into on the engine and ended up drooling right next to it. Took that off and replaced it.

Attachments

• 69F09C35-C7CF-4D46-A7CB-87F767381C47.jpeg
    69F09C35-C7CF-4D46-A7CB-87F767381C47.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 28
What you tried to do is very very difficult so don't blame yourself. The drill is always going to walk to the softer metal. Cool that you had a spare engine on hand but... expensive.

That's was my question about drilling into the block. Hey not everbody works on these engines so part identification can be an issue. That is an easy fix on the cylinder.... very easy. I'll PM you.

That's was my question about drilling into the block. Hey not everbody works on these engines so part identification can be an issue. That is an easy fix on the cylinder.... very easy. I'll PM you.
Thanks. You’re the best. So be that i put it in correctly and everything is fine, when i crank will everything be ok? Like should i add a lil pre mix into the cylinder

Did you measure that thing to determin if both cylinders and pistons were the same size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back