Water poured out of the Fuel Vent

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So put my Sportster 1800 on the water the first time Thursday and played around finding some quirks etc to work on. This morning I was fine tuning the left side carb idle setting when I noticed the gas tank was sucked in more than normal. Even tho it has a fuel vent, I decided to loosen the fuel cap. When I did I heard air being sucked in at the cap. A few seconds later I heard water pouring into the lake. Luckily my gal was there and for some reason paying attention to what I was doing, so she saw what she described as 1/2 to 1 cup of water pouring out of the vent. Had she not seen it I wouldn't be sure what I heard was what I heard if you know what I mean.
So here is all I did yesterday. I put 10 gallons of gas in with a container. The fuel was out of a underground tank so it should have expanded as fluids do as it warmed up in the 90 plus degree tank, so that doesn't create a vacuum. After fueling we took a long ride and then I took it out solo to play. When I was fooling around I cut a few circles pretty tight like and decided I was better to stop the boat while the waves settled out. There was one 2 foot or so wave that came at the drivers side of boat, same side as the fuel vent. The wave turned the boat sideways downward toward the water and pretty gently crashed into the side of the boat just splashing my arm. I'm thinking maybe the wave forced water up the vent, and it must have gotten air locked enough to prevent the vent from working, which created a vacuum that evidently held. But with that said, I did a shit load of riding full throttle after that happened, so I'm not sure if that's what's up or not. The vent obviously isn't blocked as it let the water out quickly this morning, and I can smell gas when I sniff right at it, so it is venting.

One other issue I have is I'm not sure about the oil circuit. The oil was about half full, which put the line just below where the return line and check valve go into the cap on the side. It used about an inch of oil for what I am guessing to be around 25 gallons of fuel that I went thru. I don't know if that is a good ratio or not, but seems like a lot to me. But at that level, lets say 2 to 2.5 inches above the Min mark, the oil light is coming on. It was sporatic on the water so I took the boat off of the water. But now in the shop, the oil light comes on every time I plug in the lanyard.

I also have a tachometer problem on the right side tach that I added to another post that I just updated if anyone cares to add to that.

I think I have a good boat, just gotta get some bugs out it seems.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Really? Water pouring out of a fuel vent gets no replies. Will a moderator please put this post in the correct place. I never get responses because my posts never come up on the New Post list. What am I doing wrong?

Heres my crazy csi guess,,,the tank has 2 check valves,,,one to let fumes out when the tank is being warmed on a hot day,,,and the other one allows the atmospheric pressure to allow air into the fuel system as fuel is being drawn in,,,my guess is that water is coming in thru a check valve,,,and being released thru the other valve??,,,i don't know,,,seems that one valve is faulty.,,,just a crazy notion,,,

Heres my crazy csi guess,,,the tank has 2 check valves,,,one to let fumes out when the tank is being warmed on a hot day,,,and the other one allows the atmospheric pressure to allow air into the fuel system as fuel is being drawn in,,,my guess is that water is coming in thru a check valve,,,and being released thru the other valve??,,,i don't know,,,seems that one valve is faulty.,,,just a crazy notion,,,
All I've seen is the vent tube, no check valves on the schematic unless I'm missing something. I had this same thing happen again today. Looks like I'm gonna dig into this a bit more. When it does this water lock the left engine won't idle, which is most likely the pumps struggling to overcome the vacuum the air lock is causing on the tank. Just another small thing to figure out. If all else fails I have learned to open my gas cap if I take a wave hard into the starboard side of the vessel, and to avoid that it seems like mostly what i need to do is stop turning donuts and cutting up so hard, i guess. Hopefully I find this problem soon. I like to play on this boat

I checked today and my setup is a tube only, though I do see a check valve and a tee on a schematic in the parts manual.
I pulled the screen off today and it was about 40 percent clogged from the inside. The outside part of the screen was spotless. But upon looking at the parts manual view of the assembly, I discovered that I don't have the cap. The cap I am pretty sure breaks up the water column as it comes in the tube, which I am pretty sure has been my problem. A full column of water forced up a tube will airlock in a sealed container, and this little cap I can promise is very important.
Problem I'm having is finding the assembly. I posted an ISO post to see if anyone has one, but everywhere I normally look is sold out. Until I get one I'll have to crack the gas cap when I get hit in the side with a wave.
Anyway, to all that responded, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back