Water in 2000 Sea-Doo XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenAnder

Alright. I've currently got my 2000 Seadoo XP torn apart waiting for the engine to get out of the shop. I've still got it on the trailer with my other ski, (a 2000 Yamaha xl 700) and was launching that one this weekend. Got the plugs in the Seadoo, pulled the two hoses that connect to the bottom of on the crankcase up so water wouldn't flow back in and backed in. When I got out of the water with the trailer, the Seadoo had water in the bottom of it. It was in the water for maybe 5-10 minutes at most. I pulled the scuppers, the two hoses from up front, and the bulge pump above the water level and tried again. Same thing water in the back of the ski. As far as I can tell, Its coming from under the shaft support bracket, flowing from the front of the ski towards the back. Any ideas where else water might be coming from before I dissamble the entire rear end trying to find it?

Attachments

• Jetski pic 1.jpg
    Jetski pic 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • Jetski pic 2.jpg
    Jetski pic 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Jetski pic 3.jpg
    Jetski pic 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • Jetski pic 4.jpg
    Jetski pic 4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
With the engine out there’s nothing holding the rear driveshaft against the carbon ring driveshaft seal. So it’s going to pour water in from there, also the exhaust and cooling lines.

With no engine in there, there is no pressure against the shaft. Nothing stopping your drive shaft from moving forward. Therefore, there is no pressure against your carbon seal. I imagine it is leaking there with no engine in the machine.

I was watching American Ninja Warrior as I typed and it looks like Mikid beat me to the reply button. [emoji6]

With no engine in there, there is no pressure against the shaft. Nothing stopping your drive shaft from moving forward. Therefore, there is no pressure against your carbon seal. I imagine it is leaking there with no engine in the machine.
Correct me if I'm wrong, (New to jetskis) But isn't the carbon seal on the rear side of the shaft support bracket? If it is, the water is coming from the front of the ski to the rear. That was my initial thought after some research, but it didn't seem plausible that water was running up the shaft and then down through that bracket to then roll back towards the carbon seal?

Or do I simply have the either location of the carbon seal off?

Thanks

With the engine out there’s nothing holding the rear driveshaft against the carbon ring driveshaft seal. So it’s going to pour water in from there, also the exhaust and cooling lines.
The exhaust was dry. The cooling lines were also pulled out the back of the ski and above water level. As for the carbon seal, isn't that on the back side of the bracket, or am I incorrect in thinking that?

Thanks for the help.

This is your carbon seal. Unless you have a hole in your hull the only other place for water to come in forward of this would be from a hose.

c138ce38d12f1513a052e2a161077cb2.jpg

This is your carbon seal. Unless you have a hole in your hull the only other place for water to come in forward of this would be from a hose.

c138ce38d12f1513a052e2a161077cb2.jpg
Alright. I will check again and see if that's where its coming from.

While I'm here, what else should I know for when I reassemble the ski? It'll basically have an entire new engine in it. Is there a "break in" process for jetskis?

Premix 50:1 along with oil injection first tank. No WOT and vary speed through first tank. No steady speed. Next tank, I would probably premix again with only a few brief WOT. Should be good in regards to breaking after that.

Premix 50:1 along with oil injection first tank. No WOT and vary speed through first tank. No steady speed. Next tank, I would probably premix again with only a few brief WOT. Should be good in regards to breaking after that.

Okay. Thanks for the help. I’ll check on the carbon seal as a leak point and keep it updated here. Appreciate it.

You also need to align the engine. It is especially important on skis like yours with the two piece driveshaft.

You also need to align the engine. It is especially important on skis like yours with the two piece driveshaft.

Align the engine by getting everything snug in the rear then just making sure the lovejoy inside the rear bracket and front of the crankcase are set in place before bolting the crankcase down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back