Unknown Rotax 717 Year

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetboatinsob

Hey there

I am looking at buying a 717 Rotax bombardier motor off craigslist. The guy damaged the sea doo and removed the engine/pump and is now selling them. I cannot figure out what year the engine is and therefore whether it is a 2 or 4 stroke.

The guy said he pulled it from a 2010 Sea doo but I don't think they had these 717 engines in 2010's?

Can anybody tell me about this engine? I plan on putting it into a small (12') aluminum jet boat. Will it be enough power? I believe its only 85 Hp or so? Are these reliable engines overall?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Resized_20191008_192617.jpg
    Resized_20191008_192617.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • Resized_20191008_192632.jpg
    Resized_20191008_192632.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
That’s a 717cc two stroke if u look the casings it’ll have a molding casting stamp with the year
My guess is around 1997

Have a look down the exhaust manifold and look at pistons
Remove the spark plugs and turn engine while looking at pistons and feel if there is any roughness while turning
Squirt some WD40 into engine while turning to
If there’s a starter motor on it you could do a compression check
You would be best to start with a carburetor rebuild and replace seals and gaskets and start of with factory settings on low speed high speed screws and pop off pressure on needle and seat

The 717cc, better known as the 720, is the most reliable 2-stroke that seadoo ever made and ran from 1995-2005. It is 85HP and came in single or dual carb models. Perfect compression is 150 psi and at 120 psi it is done and has to be rebuilt.

The pipe on that one looks purple so it's probably a 1995-1996.

There were never any 2010 720's.

The 717cc, better known as the 720, is the most reliable 2-stroke that seadoo ever made and ran from 1995-2005. It is 85HP and came in single or dual carb models. Perfect compression is 150 psi and at 120 psi it is done and has to be rebuilt.

The pipe on that one looks purple so it's probably a 1995-1996.

There were never any 2010 720's.

Awesome.. Thanks for the info. I would have to think that 85Hp is enough for a small 12' aluminum boat with the stock jet ski jet in there.

If there is no starter/ battery to turn it over can I just use a 3'8" ratchet to turn the engine over and check compression?
I'll look up some youtube videos on this but am not familiar with jet skit engines.

Are these engines designed with a different power band to handle the pump?

Just trying to learn about this stuff before I make a purchase. He's asking $400.00 would you say this is a good price if I cannot run it before hand?

No, you have to have it cranking with the starter and a battery to check compression.

the only way it is worth $400 is if it is complete with all electronics, exhaust and has perfect compression. You will also need the pump and driveshaft.

No, you have to have it cranking with the starter and a battery to check compression.

the only way it is worth $400 is if it is complete with all electronics, exhaust and has perfect compression. You will also need the pump and driveshaft.

Okay, I think it only has the pump.. not driveshaft, no electronics, and no controls (throttle, steering etc).

With that being said, maybe there are other engines I should keep an eye out for? or just other jet skis in general that would provide me more power while maintaining reliability and affordability?

Any recommendations? doesn't have to be sea doo, I'll be gutting the ski for its components.

Thanks again for the info

Have a look down the exhaust manifold and look at pistons
Remove the spark plugs and turn engine while looking at pistons and feel if there is any roughness while turning
Squirt some WD40 into engine while turning to
If there’s a starter motor on it you could do a compression check
You would be best to start with a carburetor rebuild and replace seals and gaskets and start of with factory settings on low speed high speed screws and pop off pressure on needle and seat

Please see my above question if you have any recommendations I would appreciate it.

With what you are looking for then you really need to buy a complete running ski.
Without electronics, carbs exhaust and driveline it is worthless.

I would stick with the seadoo 720, Yamaha 701 or kawasaki 750. all in the 80 HP range but you want a complete running ski.

With winter coming up you can probably find a complete ski for $400. Unless your really lucky you will have to spend money to make it ship shape again, but there's no way around it most the time.

Frequently said: boat - bust out another thousand.
Less said but equally as true: jet ski - bust out another hundred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back