TTO tach options for a '99 GTI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_uk

Hi guys,

I was just about to buy a TTO tach for my GTI, but stopped just short to consider options.
Being the GTI I can't easily install an OEM gauge & infocenter plus 3 gauge hood due to my MPEM, so I was looking at an aftermarket option like this.

Ideally I was going to install it in the bar trim section where the infocenter buttons normally go, but alas the TTO tach is just a bit too big even with the casing removed.
I'd like to keep it clean and go for as close to an OEM appearance as I can. I'm funny like that :rofl:

(Not my ski, pinched the image from another thread)
6185554098_large.jpg

Are there any other options you guys have used? Ideally I'd like it to be tach/temp/hours/time.

I installed an OEM tach i got off eBay for about $30. Can get power off of the other gauges and then one single wire to splice in. Took about an hour total.

If I was going to install a TTO, I'd drill a small hold in the glove box and the mount on top of the lid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd do it on the dashboard sticker just to the right and above of the fuel selector.

No no, pictured is a GSX, I've got the GTI with the console locker.
I'd looked at mounting on this, I just feel it would look a bit too stuck on.

I think based on the previous post I'll go for a 3 gauge hood and the OEM gauge. Didn't know it was just one wire.

Just need to order from the US as no chance of getting these in the UK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have this gauge cluster but purple, correct?
114.jpg

I would mount the tto in between the two gauges near the top center. Im just not sure how long of a wire you can use and still have the TTO read accurately. You'd need to go from the spark plug all the way to the nose of the ski and up through the hinge area into the hood. Proabably 7+ feet of cable.

I have a 1997 GTI so already had the 3 gauge with the block off where the tach went. I spliced the positive and negative into the existing speedo wires then just 1 wire to the magneto signal wire on the ski near the mpem. It was purple with a stripe if I remember correctly, but it's been a few years.

My only issue is someone flipped my ski and got water in the tach so now it fogs over all the time. Need to get a replacement, but honestly I don't even pay attention to it but it does look more "complete".

Actually, i just remembered that I have an extra 3 gauge pod. I had to replace my entire hood last year as someone picked up a large buoy in the water, put it in storage and tried to slam it shut, ripping the mounts out of the hood. I used my gauge cluster as it was less faded, so have the extra.

No idea what shipping would be but yours if you want it. You would obviously need to paint it as it would be yellow.

Actually, i just remembered that I have an extra 3 gauge pod. I had to replace my entire hood last year as someone picked up a large buoy in the water, put it in storage and tried to slam it shut, ripping the mounts out of the hood. I used my gauge cluster as it was less faded, so have the extra.

No idea what shipping would be but yours if you want it. You would obviously need to paint it as it would be yellow.

Ouch, sounds like an easy mistake to make! Not a cheap one either!

That is very kind of you, I'll take you up on that! I've fancied the the gauge cluster since I got the ski, but second hand parts in the UK are nearly impossible to source.

I'll PM you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back