Tricks to buffing with decals still on?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

burtshaver2021

Premium Member
Premium Member
I remember reading through a thread onetime about how to bring the gelcoat back to life with the decals still on, I thought it was an @racerxxx thread but not sure. Any ideas on how I can buff the gelcoat out without damaging the decals? I may end up needing to wet sand.

The only thing I can think of is put masking tape all around the decals leaving a one or two millimeters spacing so if you hit the tape it should still protect the decal. Take your time and go nice and slow.

The only thing I can think of is put masking tape all around the decals leaving a one or two millimeters spacing so if you hit the tape it should still protect the decal. Take your time and go nice and slow.
Thank you, I think that’s what I’m going to do.

It was probably me.
Yes, I tape over all the graphics and cut the outline with an Xacto knife.
Do all the buffing and sanding with the tape on. Once you get to the last step with machine glaze take the tape off and buff everything. The machine glaze is not abrasive enough to damage the graphics and will shine them up.

It was probably me.
Do all the buffing and sanding with the tape on. Once you get to the last step with machine glaze take the tape off and buff everything. The machine glaze is not abrasive enough to damage the graphics and will shine them up.
Thanks Miki

It was probably me.
If you get a chance croule you mind having a look at my thread “ 99 GSX RFI a few questions”

It was probably me.
Thank you,,what kind of tape would you recommend? Green painters tape? Blue painters? I’m thinking I would press the tape on nice and smooth over the edge of the graphics and then just feel to cut with the utility knife, new blade. It won’t damage the gelcoat? And what is machine glaze? I was going to use a rough cut, then medium cut, then polish, then wax.

Also was thinking of drilling out the rivets for the mats and then reinstalling them with stainless rivets so that I can wet sand in the foot wells but that might be a winter job. See any issue with doing that?

I use standard blue masking tape.
Utility knife is too crude, get an Xacto knife and don't push too hard or you will cut into the gelcoat.

Do not use stainless rivets.
If you pull the mats then fil the holes and install Hydrotruf, no reason to reuse the crappy rubber mats.

I use it for the final step then wax.
download.jpg

Utility knife is too crude, get an Xacto knife and don't push too hard or you will cut into the gelcoat.

If you pull the mats then fil the holes and install Hydrotruf, no reason to reuse the crappy rubber mats.

View attachment 62759
Meguiresdirect.com has 15 percent off right now for July 4th, they are already 40 to 50 percent less than retail if you buy the larger quantities

View attachment 62759
Just ordered 2- 32oz. bottles of 91 power cut, 1 gallon (128oz.) of the 49, 2- 16oz. bottles of the 45 and 1-32oz. bottle of the Flagship premium wax. Total was 160.60,

ABD88080-FA54-46A1-A0C6-D482DCC4DC25.jpegI’m getting this 97 GSX taped off so I can give it a quick once over with power cut 91,49 then the 45. I have a lady coming who I think may well buy it. Definitely having mixed feelings about selling it, lol. Never sold one before, I get to attached to them but I’m finding 7 running seadoo’s is to many to maintain. I guess I can’t lose though, I either get what I want for it or I still get to have it😀

Back