RESTO The budget build-95 SP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheflen

I haven't seen any recent resto builds, so I decided I should post my resto of a 95 sp.
Considering I am a college student, the budget is pretty low, so I am trying to do a proper build while keeping costs down as much as possible. I really wanted an xp, but I got a good deal on this sp, so I couldn't pass it up.
I found this double trailer on craigslist for 320$, considering I couldn't find any double trailer near me under 500$, I took it.
It had a 90 Yamaha wave runner 3 and an 89 seadoo sp on it.
IMG_1407.JPGIMG_1408.JPGI sold the Yamaha for 300 and then sold the sp for 80, so I already made 60 on this purchase.
I started restoring the trailer, painted it, put new hubs on, new bunks, new lights and wiring.IMG_1631.JPGIMG_1633.JPGi have seen this 95 sp listed for 400 for a while, but I was never interested. Eventually I gave in and decided to text the guy.
I drove out there and the motor spun easily, but has clearly been sitting for a while. He just wanted to get rid of it so he took 100$ for it.IMG_1651.JPGIMG_1652.JPG(only allowed to post 10 photos apparently) I got it home and started tearing it apart. The crankcase was filled with oil, which wasn't the worst thing because it kept all of the internals from rusting.
There will be a lot of posts following up what I have done to it and what I will be doing, I need to gather the rest of my photos for the rest of the posts. More to come!
This is hopefully going to help beginners on what to do with a low budget, a 95 sp is a great starter for someone wanting to learn to rebuild everything, it's a very simple machine.

Attachments

• IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
Tore the motor down, had to clean this crankcase up and put new seals in. Had it timed by a shop which ended up being wrong anyway.IMG_2090.JPGIMG_2091.JPGafter I got that cleaned up I put the case back together and put a new top end kit on. Did my own cylinder honing with a drill home. I wish I took more pictures but I was pretty excited to get everything together. Here's the top end assembled 54346968161__57556E9A-61D9-4FFE-98B8-5F3558608F5C.JPG

That crank looks really bad like it sat with Water in it. If it’s rust your bearings have it too and will grenade shortly. Not trying to burst your bubble but save you money in the long run.

That crank looks really bad like it sat with Water in it. If it’s rust your bearings have it too and will grenade shortly. Not trying to burst your bubble but save you money in the long run.
I did have it inspected by a shop and they said that the bearings were not rusted so I'm hoping they are right. But yes I know exactly what you mean, I wouldn't build from that crank up if the bearings were rusty

Okay, glad to hear you had it professionally inspected. What sealant did you use on the cases?
You also picked a great first ski. Don’t let anyone tell you the SP is no good. It’s a super fun and bulletproof ski so just love it for what it is. Very nimble with a top speed of about 45 mph.

While the motor was out I started wet sanding and buffing. It doesn't look too bad in the pictures but it was pretty dirty before. I also got rid of all of those old stickers and put the newer BRP stickers on, I think they look great.IMG_1684.JPGIMG_1682.JPGIMG_2095.JPGIMG_2096.JPG

Okay, glad to hear you had it professionally inspected. What sealant did you use on the cases?
You also picked a great first ski. Don’t let anyone tell you the SP is no good. It’s a super fun and bulletproof ski so just love it for what it is. Very nimble with a top speed of about 45 mph.
Thank you! I hope it will do 45, that's about what my 2001 GTI does. When I had the shop inspect it they sealed up the case so I'm not sure what they used. But I hope the SP isn't a turtle, so many comments on it have scared me. But it's a seadoo, it has to be fun. I hope It's easy to throw around because of how light it is.

You will be surprised how fun and nimble it is compared to the GTI. No comparison. I suggest getting some hydroturf for the foot wells.

You will be surprised how fun and nimble it is compared to the GTI. No comparison. I suggest getting some hydroturf for the foot wells.
Those are definitely next on my list once I get the funds. I've been finding them for around 85$, does that sound right?

Got the motor back in, now it's time to get rid of the grey fuel lines. Also replaced the fuel selector and water separator.IMG_2040.JPGIMG_2097.JPGafter I got the motor in I painted the jet pumpIMG_2094.JPG

It's looking great! Don't use cheap zip ties a fuel leak will equal an explosion. I use the good Thomas & Betts with the stainless locking lever.

Last steps, paint match the hood, then take it out! Ran great during the break in period other than a hard starting condition (explained in another thread) as mikidymac said, it was very nimble. This sp is a blast to ride! You can just pick it up out of the air on flat water just by bouncing it! Definitely the best 500 (or so) dollars spent.IMG_2131.JPGIMG_2137.JPG

Looks awesome man! Just add a ride plate. Will make a world of difference. Here’s a couple SP’s (95) I did over the winter. There awesome machines if your not wanting to go super fast. IMG_1026.JPGIMG_1027.JPGIMG_1029.JPGIMG_1028.JPG

Last edited:
Yes they are XP hoods. The purple one has a neoprene bar cover from Amazon. The other one has a complete handle cover and pad from a XPL. Had to do some mods to get it to work but it was easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back