Stuck tach in 2004 sportster 4 tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CB on the lake

The tach was stuck at the halfway mark when I bought this boat this spring. I read a post somewhere that the problem was a stuck needle and it was easily repairable.

The repair consisted of removing the tach, carefully prying off the bezel--I used a small flat screwdriver and worked it around under the crimped edge of the bezel until It could be removed. It takes some work but it will come off. Then I simply moved the needle back and forth slowly until it moved freely. It was definitely stuck but after a bit it freed up. Replaced the bezel and carefully crimped it back in place.

The tach now works perfectly, going full gauge when starting, then settling down at the correct RPMs while running and back to zero when the engine is stopped. I had my doubts but this repair worked better than I expected. I can't say this will work for every bad tach, but it sure did for mine. Of course, if the problem is something other than a stuck needle this won't work.

It would be advisable to seal the bezel with a good marine grade sealant after it is reinstalled to ensure that moisture can't enter the gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back