stone broke wear ring but also that small black tube

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LarryL

I got a stone in my Seadoo Spark Trixx 2018, once again. I was changing the wear ring but noticed this time also the small black tube got destroyed. I went through all the drawings I could not identify it and googled a lot but simply could not find an answer what that thing is and what part to order. It is at 11 o'clock when you look from the rear after you have removed the impeller. I have attached few photos.

When you put back the whole thing (impeller pump) you just need to make sure the tube goes into the hole in the "impeller body". The strange thing is that the hole does not seem to lead anywhere because it is plugged. You can see that black hexagon plug. But I am little worried to put the jetski back in water with an uknown whole in the back...

Any advice welcome, thanks.

20210505_171320.jpg

20210505_171303.jpg

Ok, I was able to figure out the part number by myself. It is 271001818. Seems to be something that sucks water into the exhaust to cool it, although no idea how it does it.

But has anybody experience changing this small cheap piece? I wonder if I can somehow rip the remaining part of the tube just off and just push the new one in. Or is there some attachment on the inside, which would mean I need to take the whole jetski apart... Has anybody a photo of the inside back when cover removed, that would help at least a little bit.

Ok, I was able to figure out the part number by myself. It is 271001818. Seems to be something that sucks water into the exhaust to cool it, although no idea how it does it.

But has anybody experience changing this small cheap piece? I wonder if I can somehow rip the remaining part of the tube just off and just push the new one in. Or is there some attachment on the inside, which would mean I need to take the whole jetski apart... Has anybody a photo of the inside back when cover removed, that would help at least a little bit.
Don't know if you have made any progress yet....but you have the right part number 27100818 = Water Straight Fitting, $11.49. There seems to be a molded in ridge in the fitting that holds it between the external part bolted into the hull...so, you probably cant just pull the fitting out....you'd also need to go inside the ski to disconnect the hose attached at the inside. Doesn't look like you can fix anything without taking the ski apart (partially anyway), top deck will have to come off to get inside.

I've taken mine apart twice so far.....complete HULL replacement and an iBR repair....only took me a good day to do the entire thing (hull replacement).....outside on the driveway. TEDIOUS work but certainly do-able. Good luck!

Thanks. I am still waiting for the part to arrive. If I get it tomorrow I will try to do the work this weekend.

Looks like a huge amount of work to change a few dollar plastic part. I think I need to take off the upper deck and also the exhaust water box to access it from inside. And to access it from outside I need to take of the pump and also the "pump support plate" that the the part goes through. I hope SeaDoo would have designed this differently...

Quite surprised that no clear instructions anywhere, I would assume this part would break quite often together with the wear ring, but I guess not and I just had bad luck. With one google search you can find tons of instructions how to change wear ring.

Thanks. I am still waiting for the part to arrive. If I get it tomorrow I will try to do the work this weekend.

Looks like a huge amount of work to change a few dollar plastic part. I think I need to take off the upper deck and also the exhaust water box to access it from inside. And to access it from outside I need to take of the pump and also the "pump support plate" that the the part goes through. I hope SeaDoo would have designed this differently...

Quite surprised that no clear instructions anywhere, I would assume this part would break quite often together with the wear ring, but I guess not and I just had bad luck. With one google search you can find tons of instructions how to change wear ring.
YOU might be the one lucky (unlucky) guy to break the water tube.....YES, it looks like a real PITA to change that one little part...but alas....it's probably not supposed to break either.....but S*** happens.

Patience....and good luck....it really is NOT THAT BAD once you start tearing it down....but really take your time, have black silicone and O-ring lube handy and bugger up ALL penetrations (especially around any plastic/vinyl tubes passing through the rear hull) when you put her back together.....take care to get the top deck gasket seated properly, etc......the devil is in the details.

Don't moose torque your screws either (careful if you are using a screw gun).....the plastic will strip out....do everything "hand tight", go easy with any ratcheting or gun driving.

water-straight-fitting-in.jpg20210529_131928.jpgOk, now the job is done. It was more difficult than I thought. Removing the top and rear covers was the easy part. Difficult was to figure out how to remove the pump support plate or whatever it is called. To access all bolts from inside you need to detach the IBR penetration for example. And to then of course detach all hose penetrations etc. The wide part of this water fitting tube is between the plate and hull so it cannot be pulled in either direction. And to make it even more complicated it is actually even between the seal and the plate.

Did not take too many photos because I spend so much time figuring out what bolts and hoses and steering cable etc need to be detached to access this part. Anyhow here is one photo right after I have put on the new part, you can also get some idea what things have been detached etc.

And this probably shows why it broke in the firts place. Might be that when I last time put the wear ring in, I put the part that keeps the wear ring from rotating around that tube. Now I put it around the metal where one bolt will be attached. You can see the difference in these two photos, on one it is at 10 o'clock and and in the ather at 11 o'clock. Not very smart design from Seadoo, it simple seems to match two different thing. If a big rock is hit to the wear ring it might rotate and that way destroy the water tube extension. Which means half a day of extra work.

20210529_150552.jpg20210529_150542.jpg

I do believe that the wear ring detent is SUPPOSED to go against the water tube fitting....the fitment (as shown in both photos tells the story).. You don't want that wear ring to move and if you use the wrong detent location, the wear ring tabs will probably shear right off and the ring has nothing to restrain it.

The water tube should have probably been made of aluminum....cost cutting.....sheesh

PS: I really hope you slathered those vinyl tubes passing through the hull with silicone....those vinyl tubes are a friction fit and they will loosen over time......I had a leak where the vinyl tube (lower right in the 2nd photo passed through the hull)...copious amounts of silicone eventually sealed it though.....

PS: I really hope you slathered those vinyl tubes passing through the hull with silicone....those vinyl tubes are a friction fit and they will loosen over time......I had a leak where the vinyl tube (lower right in the 2nd photo passed through the hull)...copious amounts of silicone eventually sealed it though.....
Good point, thanks. I used silicone for everything else but actually not those two vinyl tubes. They are just simple tubes that go through the hull without any seal or attachment, they just slide back and forth, so not sure where to put silicone. At least it looked liked they did not have any silicone around them before. But maybe I will just put whatever I can around it without removing any parts. The jetski has been in water for several days now and seems to work fine and not a drop of water inside so at least now looks like I put everything back together ok. Sometimes I leave it for long periods of time in the water because it is fresh water and I have a good pier where to dock it.

Good point, thanks. I used silicone for everything else but actually not those two vinyl tubes. They are just simple tubes that go through the hull without any seal or attachment, they just slide back and forth, so not sure where to put silicone. At least it looked liked they did not have any silicone around them before. But maybe I will just put whatever I can around it without removing any parts. The jetski has been in water for several days now and seems to work fine and not a drop of water inside so at least now looks like I put everything back together ok. Sometimes I leave it for long periods of time in the water because it is fresh water and I have a good pier where to dock it.
In one of your photos, the little vinyl tube (it is the ski hull drain tube) has an indent in it......that is where the hose was "squeezed" through the hole in the hull and makes its "friction" seal. The HULL hole is slightly smaller than the OD of the vinyl tube......IF, as you say, the tube was just sliding in and out....that could become a problem down the road.

MY 2017 was leaking from that hose passing through the hull......after I re-assembled the ski and put it back in the water, the next morning I came out and the ski was squatting in the water and the rear deck was at the water line......we quickly pulled the ski out and I left it on the trailer and waited.....once the ski dried off externally, I could see water dripping OUT of the hull from below that hose. The hull was full of water and I did not open the drain plug. SO, if water was getting OUT...water was getting IN too.

I pulled the top deck off (again) and was able to get copious amounts of silicone smeared around that hose inside the hull (it wasn't pretty but who's gonna see it). I was also able to get some silicone smeared around the hose on the outside of that location (using a wooden dowel to push the silicone into any gaps)...it was a slow tedious process as I did not want to remove the rear bucket, pump, etc.....IMHO this is bad design as that vinyl hose can shrink or get brittle over time or lose its resilience and the seal can fail (especially if you have to remove components to make repairs (as you have)).

We shouldn't HAVE to rely on a vinyl tube to form a permanent seal through a hull below the water line.

Old thread but this same thing just happened to me. Rock destroyed impeller and also that plastic pipe. Then my exhaust system lost coolant , and the water box /muffler thing exploded from overheating and probably small amounts of water getting in to the overheated muffler. Blew a 2 inch hole in the side of it. This let exhaust gasses flood the hull which kills the engine. Using used parts I’m already at $500 for one rock.

Back