steering doesnt move out of water?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepmiller09

I just got a 2003 gtx 4tech S/C with 68hrs. I have yet to put it in the water. I was looking at it last night and I noticed I could not move the steering handel bar at all. Is this normal? Do I need to be in water with the engine on to move the steering bar left and right or is something wrong? Hate to put it in the water next week and only be able to go forward and not left or right lol

Here is a quick movie of what is going on. Hope this helps!

[video=youtube_share;kDZlIbFoUt0]http://youtu.be/kDZlIbFoUt0[/video]

Thanks,
Miller

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a 2003 gtx 4tech S/C with 68hrs. I have yet to put it in the water. I was looking at it last night and I noticed I could not move the steering handel bar at all. Is this normal? Do I need to be in water with the engine on to move the steering bar left and right or is something wrong? Hate to put it in the water next week and only be able to go forward and not left or right lol

Thanks,
Miller

Is it cable steer?

Sounds like a frozen steering cable to me. You'll have to replace it. There is a cable with a pushrod on the end connected to the steering nozzle correct?

- Michael

Where do I find the cable.....sorry I am clueless when it comes to jet skis right now. Also where is the best place to buy a cable and can I install it or should I take it to a dealer? Looks like I wont be getting in the water next week :(

Basically the steering cable comes from under the steering at the front down the right side of ski and connects to the right side of the nozzle poking through the hull next to the jetpump. If you cant turn it, it most likely is frozen unless something is holding the nozzle from moving.

Easy enough to replace, just need seats off and glovebox out.

Video Update!

Updated with a video!

[video=youtube_share;kDZlIbFoUt0]http://youtu.be/kDZlIbFoUt0[/video]

Thanks,
Miller

When I took the 4 screws out this big long black tube came out no problem it was not attached to anything. Should it be attached to something? What does it do? 2012-07-08_17-06-05_287.jpg

The steering cable is froze solid... undo it at both ends, bet you still can't move the cable in or out a bit.

If you unbolt it from the steering nozzle the nozzle can then be turned both ways by hand (and that will move the OPAS paddles as well). Don't try forcing the OPAS paddles to move directly by hand!

- Michael

No, it's part of the air circulation system that prevents vapor buildups inside the hull. The end sits in a little aluminum bracket that's bolted to the jet pump tunnel (be sure to get the end back into that bracket when you re-assemble it!). It forces incoming air sucked in from under the seat to go to the bottom of the hull before going forward to the air intake up in the front of the hull near the fuel tank. This keeps air circulating inside the length of the hull, so don't toss it or anything! You can however unclip it from the seat bridge (the black piece you removed when you took those 4 bolts loose).

You need a new steering cable. Go ahead and unbolt the steering cable from the nozzle and from the steering arm (under the handlebars) and see if you can't move the cable, but can then move the handlebars and the steering nozzle by hand freely. You just need a new cable, I wouldn't take the old cable out till you have a new cable to go right back in with though.

Regards!

- Michael

Michael! Thank you for all your help! I will go unbolt it now and see if that does it like you say! I will have to see if I can order a new one online or see if the sea doo dealer might have one on hand. Thanks again!!!

Which Connection?

Ok as soon as I took off this bracket bracket.jpg the handle bars moved but the rear OPAS did not. I am thinking this is fine.

Now where do I disconnect it from the steering here? Front connect 1.jpg This looks more like a steering adjustment point or disconnect from way at the top here Front connect 2.jpg?

Finally it looks as if I just disconnect it from this point in the rear rear connect.jpg and pull it into the hull and out. Correct?

I am trying to fix this all myself to save money and I love fixing new things.
where is the best place to buy a cable. I have looked at 2 different sites
http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/26-3129.html
http://www.watercraftsuperstore.net/PWC-SeaDoo-Steering-Cables/716SB117.html

Thanks
Miller

Pic 1 is of that clamp that anchors the steering cable under the handlebar assembly. Now the handlebars are moving the entire cable back n forth, instead of pushing the inner cable in and out. Again, you have a frozen cable... looks like about $162 new? Eeek! See if you can find a good used one on Ebay perhaps you could save a little money.

See the following link for an exploded parts diagram... you took part #56 off. You need to take part #40 loose from parts #33-34 to disconnect the cable from the steering assembly.

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/seadooforums/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=seadoopwc&A=116&B=17&modelid=2006 Sea Doo PWC RXT STEERING WHEEL W/ STEERING ASSY.

Looks like there is a bolt going thru part #40, and there may be 2 possible hole positions where #40 can be attached to the steering mechanism #33-34... be sure to note which of the 2 holes it goes in, cover the other hole with a piece of tape maybe so you don't have to wonder which hole it went in later!

Study the exploded diagrams at that link I posted, they can help you to figure out what you need to take apart... very very helpful!

- Michael

The squeaking from the OPAS was interesting. I would disconnect the cable from your steering which is the bolt and nut in pic 3. This will allow the handlebars to move separately thus indicating that the handlebar end is fine. Disconnect the cable from the nozzle in pic 4 and then attempt to move the nozzle with the OPAS attached by hand if that also moves then its definitely your cable. On the other hand if it doesnt move then undo the OPAS connect from the bottom of the nozzle and see if the nozzle then moves and that would indicate if it were nozzle or OPAS to blame.

After doing that you should know which part is bad.

Ok I was able to free up the front part of the steering cable, it is unbolted. I have it unbolted from the nozzle. Once unbolted the nozzle and OPAS moved together with ease!!!! Now I can't get it to come out and I believe it is due to this screw fitting in the rear. Do I have to unbolt and remove the nozzle to get to this? screw.jpg You can see in the background what is holding up from freeing the steering cable.

Ok I was able to free up the front part of the steering cable, it is unbolted. I have it unbolted from the nozzle. Once unbolted the nozzle and OPAS moved together with ease!!!! Now I can't get it to come out and I believe it is due to this screw fitting in the rear. Do I have to unbolt and remove the nozzle to get to this? View attachment 13242 You can see in the background what is holding up from freeing the steering cable.
Need some help? Maybe the two of us could figure it out. Ill be home tomorrow so let me know. Just an offer.

I tried taking the pump off but I cant break the bolts lose....grrrrr so I think I am going to pick up a Basin Wrench up. You think this will do any good?
146.jpg

The pump should be easy to remove. Just the four nuts with washers holding it on and the reverse cable, steering cable and OPAS connection then it should be free to come out.

The plastic nut that holds the steering cable in place has 2 half locators that keep the cable in place and there is also a seal to stop water going in. So once you remove the nut you can pull the cable out the back a little get the seal and locators off then it can be feed back into the hull of id imagine you can feed the full cable out through that same hole.

is there anything I can clean the shaft with it looks rusted?shaft.jpg Also how do you get the darn screw nut off the cable. I can't pull it off... grrrr Never mind I got the screw off... Just had to pull the cap off the end! Now time to install!!!!! Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back