Starting on the water - Starter stops... starter, Battery, rectifier, compression?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3cc0s

I have a 95' 657x that I've had some issues with to say the least.

There was some charging issues last year, requiring me to replace the MPEM, rectifier, battery...

This year it was running good, until the last two times, I had a hard time with starting the boat back on the water after an extended period of being anchored while fishing.

It will kick off, but just stop while I'm holding down the red button... I was scared I couldn't get back going, but I opened up the lid on the back and was able to get it firing which I was happy with, but this is the second time this happened.

So, this is the thing... this seems like it could be a battery issue, but I did just charge the AGM battery into the zone just prior to taking it out, and the blower, bildge pumpe etc.. works just fine

It starts out of water just fine -- could it be the motor is aged? (but it should keep turning over and just not firing then)

Could it be the starter?

The battery is 1 year old, but I didn't tend it during the winter (but it sat inside a heated garage, as did the boat)
MPEM/Rectifier was replaced last year - again though, I vented the engine bay and it sat in a heated garage
Starter itself??

I wish this wasn't a big deal, but I don't want to get stranged and its not like I can push or kick start it lol

My mechanic says to check the voltage dip when I start it... to check the battery and solenoid

then its the stator and rectifier?

It could be the starter, even your new battery ( I have had bad new batteries). I would have your battery fully charged 12.6ish), and then do a load test. You replaced the regulator, so I assume your stator is good. I would reconfirm that your battery is receiving a charge, that all your connections, (grounds), are clean and do a draw test on your starter to see how much the voltage drop is.

It could be the starter, even your new battery ( I have had bad new batteries). I would have your battery fully charged 12.6ish), and then do a load test. You replaced the regulator, so I assume your stator is good. I would reconfirm that your battery is receiving a charge, that all your connections, (grounds), are clean and do a draw test on your starter to see how much the voltage drop is.
Thinking this is the case... the starter may be aging and getting long in the tooth and may new brushers, but I may just replace it. My mechanic thinks its drawing too much voltage when trying to start it, and I do have a new rectifier and MPEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back