Starter issue - Bendix related I think...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrisp

Hi, I'm going to finally try to work on my XP (96) this weekend. It hasn't been in the water in almost 3 years, I bought a house, and a motorcycle, and am finishing up college, so I haven't had time to do much to my Seadoos. But, I'm carving out some time this weekend and next to get them both running again. They are both having starter issues.

The problem that I'm having is that the starter spins, but does not engage the flywheel. I rebuilt the starter, with new brushes and bearing, and it worked great after that until the Bendix issue came up. I watched a YouTube video on how to disassemble that clutch/Bendix. The guy in the video had one that is doing the same as mine, where when it's on a bench, it will spin strong and fast and the Bendix spins out for a second, but then the spring pushes it back to the resting position. In the video, he cleaned the "threads" on the starter shaft and explained why it messes up when junk gets in there, but he never addressed what to do if the one way bearing unit is not working properly.

Can that one way unit be cleaned or rebuilt, or is it a sealed unit that you can't do much with? I saw a clutch/Bendix rebuild kit at SBT's website, but if I can clean mine up, that would save me some $$. I hate buying stuff then finding out later that I could have just repaired mine or cleaned it up. lol

One my SPX (95), the starter just clicks when I push the button. I had it started once, earlier in the spring, but then a day later the clicking started and I can;t get it to crank over. Any ideas what the problem might be? I charged the battery with a tender, and it still just clicks.

You can't dis assemble the bendix. It's new or nothing. Wait until you pull it, it could jest be a piece is something on the shaft. It's free to pull it, clean it, and try it.

As for the other one, clean all your connections, make sure your battery is charged and try again. If that doesn't work, bridge the solenoid with pliers or a screwdriver and see if it turns over. If not you need to check the solenoid, 1 that it's getting power when you press the start button (check the 2 wires on the plug in the middle plug. and does the power actually go to the starter if the start button is pressed. If so, you need to look at the starter.

Well, got one checked over. I made sure that the SPX battery was charged and it wasn't a click, it was more like a hum. So I connected my jumper box and it cranked right over. It didn't start but that's probably because the carbs are dry. Apparently I need a new battery, so at least I narrowed that down. I'm charging the booster box, so will try cranking it again later, it sounded like gas was just getting up to the plugs when the booster ran down.

Just go get a battery and have the one in there load tested, sounds like it's at the end of its rope. Likely it's the culprit any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back