Sportster mpem trouble?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlafky

2000 Sportster LE - single 951 Silver. Bought 2001 used. Dealer bellied up, 150 miles to nearest 'sportboat' dealer now. 2004 replaced MPEM late season after DWD/no restart. Returned home to find no gauges situation - all else okay ran well. Dealer said would stand behind work, return next spring okay. Stored and returned to dealer service May 2005. Dealer says mpem faulty, timer in-op, no warranty. Bombardier confirms no warranty on electrical. Boat operates well through 2008, no gauges & need to switch battery off when not in use.

This June fails to chirp 2x when lanyard installed, but boat still starts. Occasionally, 2x chirp returns. Both switch and lanyard kill engine. This weekend drove once no problem. Next time at ramp, w/ engine cold, started engine, ran briefly, stalled and began to beep continuously when pressing starter. Took home, retried in d/way - same continuous beeping. Hard to figure overheating without running.

Today called local guy with SeaDoo programmer - gone until July 1. Backed boat into my shop, turned battery on. 2 chirps and starts fine. Aaaaargh!

Any advice on ground locations I might check - or anything else?

I've now seen the self diagnostic check. With lanyard removed I press starter 5x and get a quick short beep followed by a long beep. I then replace lanyard and no beeps at all - though engine will start. If I remove & replace lanyard again, I'm back to 2 short beeps.

Does this mean the mpem has no info stored for diagnosis? Does interrupting the battery supply(switching it off) clear mpem memory?

no, sounds though, yuor beeper or battery is going, or just bad connects at either/both. Pull the lever assy also, and check the "switch", in there, its the nuetral safety switch, spray some lithium grease/wd-40, and work the f/n/r/ lever to free up the button. Also, take an eraser and clean the metal strip inside landyard and the ring/button on post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back