Spark Trixx 3up to a 2up conversion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

artey34

My and my girlfriend are looking to get a pair of Trixx. She wants the 2up, and I am on the fence of the 2vs3. I want the 3 for the weight capacity. I am 200lbs, and that really limits who a passenger could be. So that makes me look at the 3 up. I will be solo 90% of the time, so I want the more nimble choice, but dont want to sacrifice that outer 10%.

My thought is that I should get a 3up, and remove the extension on the back. This should essentially make it a 2up if I did my reading right?? If not, what other parts would I need to make it a 2up and keep the longer 3up seat. By removing this, does the weight capacity drop back to that of the 2up?

Anyone have experience with but versions? Are they really that different to ride and amount of fun?

If you're mainly focused on the seat and don't care about the rear extension, why not get a 2up that is cheaper and then get a 3up seat for it? They also make an "improved comfort seat" or something like that. SeaDoo makes one and I believe there's a very nice 3rd party one as well.

One thing to be aware of also is the "version" of the engine you get in 2vs3. While it is identical hardware on the inside between the 2and3, the two typically is tuned to 60hp which affects your acceleration and top speed, and the 3 is typically tuned to 90hp which adds the previously mentioned.

You can mod them, however, in case you got a 2up with the lesser powered engine which would then give you 90hp (there's even a mod for 110hp) and also enable "Sport Mode" for you which the 60hp tune doesn't include. That's when things get very fun lol.

Hope this helps!

Oh and as for experience, I don't actually own one lol. However, I rode a buddy's basic 2up with the slower engine. Still a blast!!! But now I'm obsessed and am researching them now and looking to buy very soon if I can find the right deal. I'm currently looking at a sweet 2018 Spark Trixx edition that has been customized. Only thing for me is that I want a 3up so I can pull tubes and stuff legally and this is a 2up. So I'm currently figuring out the cost and effort to actually convert to a 3up.

To go from a 2up to a 3up cost alot more. Need the cushion, handles, rear extension and a few other things. Starting 3 up, all I would have to do is remove that extension piece......I believe. Both are the Trixx model so they only get the 90HP motor. So only difference as far as I know is the extension and longer seat

I'm confused, you said you were going to remove the rear extension only wanted the 3up seat. If that's not the case and you think it will be cheaper buying a 3up and converting to 2up? rock on lol

I guess what I need to know is what the difference in feel is between the 2up vs the 3up. If there isnt much difference, I would get the 3up and be done with it. If there is a noticeable difference between them, then its a debate of getting a 2up and extending the seat. Or a 3up and removing the extended platform.
Now If I got the 3up and removed that extension, what does that do to the weight capacity? Do it drop from 450 to 350 by removing that extension?

something else to consider- here in nh, jet skis that hold 1 or 2 people are illegal, only 3 seaters are allowed on the lakes. the registration for a 2-up says "jet ski" but the 3-up models say "PWC" - it doesn't matter what mods you do, if marine patrol see's "jet-ski" on the reg instead of "PWC", you get a $70 ticket. so in my case, I'd be better of buying the 3-up to get the "PWC" designator on the reg and make it a 2-up... just throwing that out there in case it applies to you.

something else to consider- here in nh, jet skis that hold 1 or 2 people are illegal, only 3 seaters are allowed on the lakes. the registration for a 2-up says "jet ski" but the 3-up models say "PWC" - it doesn't matter what mods you do, if marine patrol see's "jet-ski" on the reg instead of "PWC", you get a $70 ticket. so in my case, I'd be better of buying the 3-up to get the "PWC" designator on the reg and make it a 2-up... just throwing that out there in case it applies to you.
Yeah I've considered that and should probably find out how strict they are going to be in Washington State!

Yeah I've considered that and should probably find out how strict they are going to be in Washington State!
I'm pretty sure that's the only reason why seadoo made a 3-up trixx. Many New England states have similar regulations regarding jet skis. I honestly have no idea why Seadoo would even condone towing with a trixx ski- I tried it and it was miserable. The ski is so light that I barely had any control over it unless I was going in a straight line, and even then the tube would cause the ski to just wander all over the place. this leads me to believe that the reason they even made a 3-up trixx model was to satisfy the states that only allow the pwc class...

I came across that thread and I will add my 2 cents... Spark and Spark Trixx share the same engine but the Trixx has a HO (for High Output I figure). The Spark has either the base 900 engine or the HO one listed as options.

And same as you, I am over 200 pounds, but only by a bit more... :)

I haven't checked the maximum speed of the Trixx (2 up or 3 up) but I am sure that it must be a bit over 50 mph due to the lower weight of the model. The drawback of the Spark is the carry weight capacity. As you pointed out, it is in fact 439 pounds.

I bought a new Sea-Doo last year but the weight capacity of 439 pounds of the Trixx 3 UP stopped me right away. Also, the GTI 130 was a bit too expensive to my taste (for what I wanted to do with it, just cruise on the lake). Since the maximum speed was not important for me (being an older guy), I settled for the GTI 90, which is a "full-fledged" Sea-Doo, but with the same engine as the Trixx (900 ACE HO). It has a maximum weight capacity of 600 pounds, much better than 439 pounds. It also has lots of options and to make it a bit lighter it has the same bottom hull as the Spark (Polytec but the rest is fiberglass and the engine is accessible from under the seat like a full-fledged Sea-Doo). The only drawback is that you can't go faster than 45 mph, depending on your weight... (there is a also tuner kit for this model to go a bit faster but I don't care for it). The options also list a ski pylon but really, if I had wanted to pull people, I would have selected the 1503 engine.

I am happy with my GTI 90.

I'm pretty sure that's the only reason why seadoo made a 3-up trixx. Many New England states have similar regulations regarding jet skis. I honestly have no idea why Seadoo would even condone towing with a trixx ski- I tried it and it was miserable. The ski is so light that I barely had any control over it unless I was going in a straight line, and even then the tube would cause the ski to just wander all over the place. this leads me to believe that the reason they even made a 3-up trixx model was to satisfy the states that only allow the pwc class...

So the state will let your register the ski ("jetski" not PWC) and take your money but you can't use it? Sounds like a win win for them.

So the state will let your register the ski ("jetski" not PWC) and take your money but you can't use it? Sounds like a win win for them.

yep- there are other lakes out of state you can use them in- and you can use them on privately owned closed courses, and there's a couple other lakes in the state that may allow restricted use of'em- but for the most part, nope. The state gov't banned them on all smaller lakes and ponds, then left it open to local gov't to determine local restrictions in addition to the state- the only lake in Nh where I believe you're allowed to use them is lake winnipesaukee because it's a huge lake (72 sq miles / 180' deep) but even 75% of that lake bans them. my lake banned them in 1989. Nh has a very active marine patrol because everyone from mass, ct & ri flood our state to use the lakes- and they don't read up on the regs.

from the nh dept. of safety:
RSA 270:74 prohibits the use of skicraft (one and two person) on all public bodies of water less than 75 acres in size. For the definition of skicraft see RSA 270:73. Requirements Specific to "Ski Craft" New Hampshire law defines a “ski craft” as any motorized vessel that is less than 13 feet in length, is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour, and has the capacity to carry no more than two persons. This includes PWC designed to seat one or two persons.

it's pretty confusing the way they wrote it- because it says "This includes PWC designed to seat one or two persons." however, if it carries 2 or less people, it won't say PWC on the reg, it'll say "skicraft" or "jetski"... a boater's license is required in Nh if you're over 16 and driving a vessel greater than 25 hp. the boaters license was way more intense than the drivers license! first you have to take and pass a 2 hour exam on line- I forget how much it costs- it's not cheap. once you pass the on-line exam, you have to go to the university of nh (UNH) and take a proctored exam which is set up like a SAT. then they mail you out a lifetime boaters license. of all the things Nh is lax on... boating is not one of them!

Last edited:

Haha I live at the Lake of the Ozarks and I had a 2001 Seadoo GTX and on the title the idiotic DMV put “JET SKI” it bothered me because so many people call these damn things “jetski” or “waverunner” they are not called either of those as a jetski is a Kawasaki and a Waverunner is a Yamaha. Tell that to your local/state government lol idiots. Also what a weird law you have. Here at the Lake of the Ozarks we have basically no restrictions! Maybe that’s why we are the #1 recreational lake in the nation!

Haha I live at the Lake of the Ozarks and I had a 2001 Seadoo GTX and on the title the idiotic DMV put “JET SKI” it bothered me because so many people call these damn things “jetski” or “waverunner” they are not called either of those as a jetski is a Kawasaki and a Waverunner is a Yamaha.

words morph into other meanings as the industry changes. "jetski"may have been the kawasaki brand name, but it's a widely used term to describe any personal water craft that carries 3 or less people and uses JET propulsion. everyone knows what you're referring to when you say you spent the weekend on your jet-ski... if you say you spent the weekend on your seadoo, most people have no clue whether you're reffering to a ski or a boat. it's a kin to saying a honda goldwing isn't a motorcycle because Daimler Reitwagen invented the term "motorcycle" in 1885. the "jet ski" arguement is up there with other dumb semantic driven arguments like "motors" are electric and "engines" are combustion... therefor the word "motor-cycle" should really be "engine-cycle", or- when people refer to their ski-doo or arctic cat snowmobiles as a "sled", which everyone in the northeast does in the winter and they're racing their sleds on the lake. people who get hung up on silly semantics like this need to find a better subject matter to focus their free time on. ;)

words morph into other meanings as the industry changes. "jetski"may have been the kawasaki brand name, but it's a widely used term to describe any personal water craft that carries 3 or less people and uses JET propulsion. everyone knows what you're referring to when you say you spent the weekend on your jet-ski... if you say you spent the weekend on your seadoo, most people have no clue whether you're reffering to a ski or a boat. it's a kin to saying a honda goldwing isn't a motorcycle because Daimler Reitwagen invented the term "motorcycle" in 1885. the "jet ski" arguement is up there with other dumb semantic driven arguments like "motors" are electric and "engines" are combustion... therefor the word "motor-cycle" should really be "engine-cycle", or- when people refer to their ski-doo or arctic cat snowmobiles as a "sled", which everyone in the northeast does in the winter and they're racing their sleds on the lake. people who get hung up on silly semantics like this need to find a better subject matter to focus their free time on. ;)

Yet you have the audacity to post this long reply and say people need to find a better subject matter to focus their free time on funny. ;) Actually the state of Missouri doesn’t recognize a “jet ski” as an official term for a Personal Watercraft (PWC). I am not sure where you got that information that a “jetski” is a watercraft that carries 3 or less passengers because what the hell do you call a Seadoo LRV or the Yamaha SUV both a 4 seater PWC or I guess what some people would call them “jetski”.

Just to keep beating this dead horse....
JetSki is a registered trade mark of Kawasaki Heavy Industries, so... by the letter of the law they are only limiting Kawasaki branded products.

The better comparison would be like calling all tissues Kleenex which is a brand not a product.

Just to keep beating this dead horse....
JetSki is a registered trade mark of Kawasaki Heavy Industries, so... by the letter of the law they are only limiting Kawasaki branded products.

The better comparison would be like calling all tissues Kleenex which is a brand not a product.

You are a 100% correct and that is why the term jetski is not a legal term and shouldn’t be used on a legal document such as registration or title. Also I wasn’t trying to start an uproar I just found it strange with the whole regulations/laws you all have regarding PWCs. I was also attesting to my own personal experience of having the term “JET SKI” typed on the title of my old Seadoo GTX which was fixed.

no bad blood here either- ;)
I know a parent with a child who will fight with you all day long over the difference between a pamper or a diaper. life is too short to argue over semantics.

My and my girlfriend are looking to get a pair of Trixx. She wants the 2up, ... I want the 3 for the weight capacity. I am 200lbs, and that really limits who a passenger could be. So that makes me look at the 3 up. I will be solo 90% of the time, so I want the more nimble choice, but dont want to sacrifice that outer 10%.

My thought is that I should get a 3up, and remove the extension on the back. This should essentially make it a 2up if I did my reading right?? If not, what other parts would I need to make it a 2up and keep the longer 3up seat. By removing this, does the weight capacity drop back to that of the 2up?

Anyone have experience with but versions? Are they really that different to ride and amount of fun?

This is a great thread and I have to state upfront, I only own and have ever been on a 2-up. ‘19 TRixx to be specific.
Put a gun to my head in your situation and, yes, getting a 3-up and tearing it DOWN to “be” a 2-up makes much more $en$e than trying to “purchase a 3-up seat and an extension” to go “up” from a 2-up to a 3-up. (Economically, that last makes no $en$e at all.)
I weigh 210 and my 130lb grandson and I found out real quick, this thing h2-up TRixx) just ain’t meant for two “grown” beings (we completely rolled the thing upside down just falling off it (granted, in the midst of doin’ some very hard carving but, dang).
Now, on the other hand, my wife (who weighs slightly more than 130, 150?)) rode on the back with me in front the other night (the battery in her VXR took a crap on us) and for just getting from point a to point b, it was fine. But, totally forget about having any real “fun,” let alone any “antics.”
I really question whether a slightly longer seat and a bit of an extension makes “that” much difference and I’m glad now that I didn’t take a gamble on it. (Until this thread, I didn’t know about the NH / northeast US states’ reg.s thing (d*mn, NH is hands down one of THE MOST BEAUTIFUL places I’ve ever paddled or snow ski’ed but, fv*k that crap! But, now that I’ve heard about it, it makes sense BRP would do that “workaround” to say they’ve made a TRixx into a 3-person. But, IMO, when talking about a Spark, a slightly longer seat and an aft extension a 3-person ski does not make. And there goes any consideration for “extra weight,” also?
That is, even if you get a 3-up, I suspect you’re only gonna being going from Point a to b with a passenger behind you. (Forget about 2 passengers, IMHO, just ain’t gonna be enjoyable for anyone; not the passengers,the driver or the poor Spark!)

The 2-up is just that nimble (I’m at the point now I am doing shallow, 3/4 throttle carves while seeing how far over I can get my 200lbs AND the TRixx on its side to touching the water with either elbow and then shoulder; haven’t quite “got it” yet - turns out the “trick” is keeping the top end loader Intake grate (option I paid up for along with Riva Racing Sponsons) in the water to where it can still continue sucking water through the jet; it’s insane!)
But then, we already had a ‘18 Yama VXR (3-person) which is truly an extremely comfortable ride for 2-adults or my wife, 13yoa grandson and 9yoa granddaughter - they can ride on that thing all day in total comfort AND still get pretty “schtoopid” doing hole shots, donuts, etc., etc.

I guess what I am ASSuming in this scenario is, if I can afford 2 skis AND if weight capacity was a priority for me, I would get a 2-up TRixx for single rider FUN (!!!!!!!!!) and get something else (and that means something other than just a 3-up Spark, too!) for “taking passengers” for rides ...

Best o’ Success and ... Don’t ... Rush ... into ... any purchase!

(Come to think of it, maybe what ya might wanna do is get her the 2-up and, after you’ve both had a chance to get a feel for that, you may either know enough or you may be able to test ride a 3-up to be really sure ...

First world problems eh?

Back