Should bilge pump remove water from ski locker?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyboyZR1

My OEM boat cover needs to be replaced and after a recent rain storm I got some water in the boat. I have about 2-3" of standing water in the rear portion of the ski locker. There's a round tube in the aft lower portion of the locker (drain tube?) and the water is covering that. With the bilge turned on it doesn't drain the water in the ski locker. The engine bay is dry. Could that drain line from the ski locker possibly be clogged? I tested the bilge a couple months ago and it pumped out a small amount of water and was working.

Bilge pump only drains bilge in rear of engine bay. Your through hull from locker to rear bilge is more than likely clogged. Maybe try running a blast of water from a hose from the locker side and see if you can free up the blockage.

Assuming the drain line between locker and engine compartment is open, (mine had fiberglass shards partially blocking) you'd also want to elevate the bow so water would drain toward the rear...

Thanks for the info guys. I tried turning on the bilge under acceleration with the bow raised thinking it might pump it out but it didn't. I took another look in the engine compartment and there's a small amount of water as you can see in the pics below. Should the bilge be pumping this out? When I turn the bilge switch on there's no noise at all from the pump. I'm thinking maybe the pump isn't working.

IMG_7920.jpg

IMG_7922.jpg

water level looks high enough that the auto switch should have kicked in and definitely high enough for the manual bilge to take care of.

Do you hear the pump running when you hit the switch?

water level looks high enough that the auto switch should have kicked in and definitely high enough for the manual bilge to take care of.

Do you hear the pump running when you hit the switch?

There isn't any noise from the pump when I hit the switch. In the past I remember it made a faint buzzing noise when the switch was on, but now there's nothing. So I'm guessing it has failed. Sounds like they're kind of a pain to replace. Can anyone confirm this is the correct pump to order for a 2012 Challenger 210?

Sea-Doo New OEM Pump - Bilge Rm500A-Pcnm / 500, 278002566 | eBay

Last edited:
Not too hard to replace. Biggest issue will be accessing it as it's way back there. Before you replace, make sure it's not a power issue. If you're getting power to the unit and she's not running, then swap her out.

Leaving a boat in water without a working bilge is not the ideal situation. Definitely make sure she's up and running before putting her in water next season, if that's your plan.

I'll make sure to check the breaker as well next time I'm out there. Might end up ordering a new pump regardless to have on hand. Appreciate the help!

Someone might chime in on this... But I think it's a fairly standard Rule Mate bilge pump with a Sea Doo installed plug. You may be able to pick up the off the shelf Rule Mate and if you can solider or reattach the old plug it will save you some money. Food for thought...

Any auto bilge should work. If the OP is going to continue to moor his boat, now would be the time to go with a bigger pump just in case.

I would simply buy some weatherproof butt connectors to splice in the new pump.

Turns out the bilge circuit breaker was popped! When I reset the breaker and manually turn on the bilge it keeps popping again so the pump won’t run. Anys thoughts on why it keeps popping?

I wish they would have made an access panel to make replacing the pump easier. I ordered a replacement pump. It's kind of a PITA to access!

Yeah, it's way back there. I lay a blanket over the engines and lay across them after taking the plastic air intakes off. 2 bolts and they're off. Gives you a bit more room to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back