service in Melbourne

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

chillholm

Is there any body else on this forum who are from Melbourne Australia and if so where do you get your Seadoo 4 tec serviced. I currently get it serviced for about $ 420 and reckon thats a bit steep considering all they do is change plugs, oil and oil filter. I just serviced my gtx my self and it cost me $125 in parts and it took me an hour. So taking all this into account they must charge about $295 per hour????

Hi Chillholm,

Try I guy called Mick 0417 585 462 (dont actuall know his last name). He was a mechanic for Top Gear Seadoo for years and aparently was their trouble shooter. He was working out of the back of his brothers work shop but has recently opened his own service centre in Hastings (bit of a way to drive but well worth it). He has his own company and ABN etc. He was recomended to me by a friend, I stuffed my wear ring and had him replace it. He did a great job at half the price I had been quoted else where. Really nice guy who is happy to give you heaps of advice over the phone.

Im about to have my 10 hour service and Top Gear quoted me approx $420. I thought that was steep also. Might give Mick a call

Yes . we just got our 10 hour done at Peter Stevens $395.00 thats with a discount because we are a frequent customer. The actual itemised bill shows that the labour was $295.00 PLUS GST and the rest was oil, filter & o-rings, plugs and sundrys( what the hell would the sundries be? a rag for cleaning up oil?). Anyway at that rate it's about $295 for 45 minutes of work??????
Can say Mick will get our business in the future as well. Hows Top Gear we bought our 2009 GTX of them, brand new and when I took it in for it's 10 hour I told them about the steering and how it was dodgy. When I picked it up I asked about the steering and they acknowledged that it needed adjusting and then handed me a bill for $620.00!!!!! $420 for the 10 hour and $200 for fixing the steering, which I pointed out to them should have been picked up with BRP or their pre-delivery check. It wasn't till I ragged up that they dropped the $200 off the bill.....never been back since.
Some of the yanks on this forum should make their way to Australia because if they could set themselves up as pwc mechanics they'd make a small fortune over here!LOL!

Funny that, Chillholm, I returned my ski to Top Gear after 6 hours with the same problem with the steering and the mechanic said it was way out and that they must have missed it during assembly! About 5 mins later it was fixed no charge.

I wander if someone other than a Seadoo dealer does the service does that void any warranties?

Yep, also been stung by Top Gear, had an issue with my GTX DI running perfectly with a new set of plugs for about 30 minutes then it would slowly drop RPM until one cylinder would drop out completely and it would max out at 4500 rpm. I dropped it in to Top gear and asked how much to take a look and give me an estimate of repair. Quoted $120.00, a week went by and upon calling them they said it has been placed on the v/hard pile and they would need more time. Again I told them I just want an estimate on repair. 3 Weeks later they decided to return my multiple follow up calls advising they think they have fixed it and I owe them $900.00 bucks. $600 in labour and $300.00 in parts.

I asked to speak to the boss, explained the situation and how I only wanted an estimate, his response "well fine Mate tell me how your going to ride it this summer with out it being fixed hey" "If you want I'll rip all the parts off and you can have your broken ski back" !!! So I negotiated it down to $600.00. Next trip out same thing happened!!! So I lost it at those guys completely and demanded they fix it for free, they told me they were unavailable to work on it until after summer (4 months away) which was their way of telling me to F.... off. A week later I stumbled across Mick, he told me it sounded like an issue with your spark and told me to check my plug leads. They were stuffed, track marks all over them and the plugs indicating I was loosing spark every where. Replaced them my self and 25 hours later she is still going strong!!! Thanks for nothing Top Gear....

Left a message on Mick's mobile a week ago and still no reply. ended up going back to Top Gear and have to say although the service was $430 the service from the staff was outstanding. They also repaired the arm that holds up the front compartment lid for nothing which I snapped the day before.

Left a message on Mick's mobile a week ago and still no reply. ended up going back to Top Gear and have to say although the service was $430 the service from the staff was outstanding. They also repaired the arm that holds up the front compartment lid for nothing which I snapped the day before.

Thats Really dissapointing, I had an issue last night when I was out off of Frankston and called him. He called me back within 5 minutes and my ski is booked in for him to check this weekend. I'm not a personal friend of his and havn't spoken to him in months so doubt he would have recognised my number.

I'll talk to him about it this weekend and ask him what's going on, I don't recomend people lightly so am a bit miffed.

Thats Really dissapointing, I had an issue last night when I was out off of Frankston and called him. He called me back within 5 minutes and my ski is booked in for him to check this weekend. I'm not a personal friend of his and havn't spoken to him in months so doubt he would have recognised my number.

I'll talk to him about it this weekend and ask him what's going on, I don't recomend people lightly so am a bit miffed.

What are topgear like re warranties etc if you are going elsewhere for your service?

Hi my names Taner from melbourne and if your looking for a really good service and repairer in melbourne for a good price look no futher then PROJET in Tullamarine.His name is Muz and is a Kawasaki dealership but also services seadoos aswell.highly recommend him

Had to return my ski to Top Gear this morning as code 127 keeps coming up and the ski is still under warranty. The mechanic that was on hand to check the ski was a guy called Mick, is it the same person by chance?

My boat was in at top gear on Monday for its 10 hr service. I think I know the mick you are talking about. He's been there a while and does almost all boat/ skis that come through. Don't think he's the same guy however not 100% on that.

My boat was in at top gear on Monday for its 10 hr service. I think I know the mick you are talking about. He's been there a while and does almost all boat/ skis that come through. Don't think he's the same guy however not 100% on that.

Just picked up the ski today and the replaced the cooling system sensor. Couldnt test ride due to bad weather but fingers crossed all ok now

Hey guys, I think there is a great guy at Top Gear named Mark. He is helpful honest and great. But he is the manager. The worker who answers phone and checks the boats/skis is a real bastard. I dont know his name but He is dishonest, (quotes one thing on phone but when you come in he doubles the quote because he thinks you have no other choice) he lies to your face about when it will be finished. (he said 1 day... Still waiting 3 days later and they "haven't had time to even look at it" I asked them so why did you tell me to bring it in and couldn't get straight answer.
Worst is he makes you feel like they are doing you a favour by even agreeing to service it so we accept their ridiculous prices (100 dollars for spare key plus 40 dollars programming fee!) when without us customers they would be bust. Funnily enough Mark the manager will quote one price but that worker will double or triple it! (300 to gel cote a tiny dent)

Anyway I stay away from that guy and try only to deal with Mark on the phone or in person, but its hard cos he is not always there. Hope that other guy gets fired or leaves. Really rotten person. Anyone else suffered the same?

Hey guys, I think there is a great guy at Top Gear named Mark. He is helpful honest and great. But he is the manager. The worker who answers phone and checks the boats/skis is a real bastard. I dont know his name but He is dishonest, (quotes one thing on phone but when you come in he doubles the quote because he thinks you have no other choice) he lies to your face about when it will be finished. (he said 1 day... Still waiting 3 days later and they "haven't had time to even look at it" I asked them so why did you tell me to bring it in and couldn't get straight answer.
Worst is he makes you feel like they are doing you a favour by even agreeing to service it so we accept their ridiculous prices (100 dollars for spare key plus 40 dollars programming fee!) when without us customers they would be bust. Funnily enough Mark the manager will quote one price but that worker will double or triple it! (300 to gel cote a tiny dent)

Anyway I stay away from that guy and try only to deal with Mark on the phone or in person, but its hard cos he is not always there. Hope that other guy gets fired or leaves. Really rotten person. Anyone else suffered the same?

I have also had a pretty good experience with Mark and Steve too. All my problems are fixed under warranty so haven't had to pay anything yet!

Hi all , Im local to the area, I just got a seadoo 2004 gtx supercharged. I picked up some rocks at frankston boat ramp. I got what i thought was all out . I took straight back on the water and was only getting 60kph, revs motor sounded normal. I just checked before and a rock was wedged in the housing on the rear, closest to the back past the impellor. Would this heavily effect performace? And i think id like it looked at as i was getting cavitation . Wear ring? Can someone give me this micks number please and any advice :) Cheers new to jetski';s

Mick Hastings 0417585462 but honestly Top Gear are brilliant if you only deal with Mark. (if someone else answers phone just call back when Mark is around). They did a great job on my boat and can do speakers, gelcote repairs, anything you ask for, and they were pretty cheap too. Mine runs beautifully now thanks to them.

Also I bought a cover from Poppy covers. The girl Terri is great. She also ordered my hydroturf for me so I saved heaps in shipping as she combined them into one package and sent them together to me. Highly recommend her.

Back