Selling Etiquette

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
When you sell an item, or rather when you are selling an item via an electronic posting, be it craigslist, FB market place what is the proper etiquette to follow if a buyer offers to pay the asking price and the seller accepts? Should the seller of the item hold said item until the buyer arrives at the agreed upon time? Or sell said item to a second buyer , after an agreement has been made and time set to first buyer? What is the consistence of the group here?

I understand that money talks and first come first serve ideology. But shouldn't an agreement mean something these days. I quite often find sales that are what I am looking for and some are great deals so I try to swoop in. More often than not the deal is quite aways from, more than 3hr drive. To be able to purchase the item I can't drop everything that moment and go get it, so I will talk with the seller, via email, message or text and make arrangements to purchase. 90% before I can arrive I get a message from the seller saying it sold, or find out its sold after confirming the address and time on the day of. 95% of the time I'm able to get to the person the very next day, no more than 24hr from our original conversation. Yet I still loose out on some great deals because the seller sold it out from under me.

I am sure there are those that say they will show up and never do. I have had it happen to me several times. Wasted time on someone who never showed up to look at an item. But when I have sold stuff, I keep those who have asked about it in order. If buyer A says he wants it and is supposed to show up at a certain time and never does and won't return a message, i move on then offer it to buyer B who said they wanted it 15min after buyer A said he would buy it. I don't skip buyer A for buyer C just because he showed up before buyer A after I made an agreement with buyer A.

I found a ski that was a good deal to me. Talked to the seller just mins after it posted and confirmed I was the first to contact. We made an agreement i would buy the ski without seeing it in person for the asking price if he would consider it sold to myself. Even offered to send payment via paypal, bank wire, etc for him to hold it. He said cash was fine and he would hold it. Went to confirm time and place and he tells me its sold......

Maybe I'm old school and my morality doesn't exist anymore. So if you read this, do me a favor and a favor for guys like me.... If you are selling an item and make a deal with someone, stand behind that deal. Give that person the agreed amount of time to arrive, maybe even check on them if they are late. Who knows what may have happened on their way to you.....

What are your thoughts? Am I way off base here?

Well, it’s a tough subject because a person’s word isn’t what it used to be.

In a perfect world where someone’s word is equal to their integrity then if you agree to a price over the phone they should hold and sell the said item at the agreed price until you arrive at a preset time if the item is as described.

I have encountered jerks that after agreeing on a price at a set time either not respond when I am already in the car or say someone offered them more and asking if I want to increase my price. To that I always respond $@uck off. In the flip side I always hold to my deals even if someone offered more after the fact.

Last edited:
Some people have no patience, I know they have doubts a buyer will show up when he says. Could be the seller changed his mind and decided to keep the item, or someone showed up with the cash and he made the sale not knowing for sure you'd show up so he didn't want that risk.

In the case he refuses your Paypal offer this makes me think he didn't want to sell. If he tries to renegotiate price, I'd tell him adios muchacho also.

People these days are not what used to be.

A person tries to be honest in this world and it seems like too many times that gets abused by others.

I sold two older fourwheelers a couple of weeks ago. They were in running shape but needed some wrenching to make them every day runners, perfect for a Father looking to get his kids something for a budget. I was honest about any problems they had and cut the buyer a deal. The next morning they were listed, for twice what I sold them for, with a BS add saying they ran perfect. I had 15 responses to my add, but I told the first guy to respond that he got priority. Lots of Fathers texted looking to get them for their kids.

I sold my old xlt (sled) for a good deal. It ran perfect, looked ugly. It was back on CL the next morning for double what I got for it, again, with BS about it being "perfect".

Excuse the language, but I'm f'ing sick of dishonesty. 3 of my 4 Sea-Doo's were given to me needing repair. God has provided for my family and given me the money and ability to get them running. If there comes a time to get rid of them I'm going to find a Dad who wants something for his family that isn't in his budget and give him a machine. No sales pitch, just a handshake and an "enjoy it".

I'm old school and moral and I love that about myself however I've learned how to operate in this new world. When there is a steal of a deal posted it's a RACE! That's how it goes. To up your chances of winning the race you need to let the seller know:
1- I am a real person
2- I have cash in hand
3- I'm on the way

I'm often on the other side being the one who posted a Seadoo for sale. I do back up my promises so I've become careful of what I promise. I'll hold it for the guy who is getting to the bank and coming over as soon as soon as he gets the opportunity. If he says that "he's coming to look this weekend" then no promises because they rarely follow through on that one.

I'm old school and moral and I love that about myself however I've learned how to operate in this new world. When there is a steal of a deal posted it's a RACE! That's how it goes. To up your chances of winning the race you need to let the seller know:
1- I am a real person
2- I have cash in hand
3- I'm on the way

I'm often on the other side being the one who posted a Seadoo for sale. I do back up my promises so I've become careful of what I promise. I'll hold it for the guy who is getting to the bank and coming over as soon as soon as he gets the opportunity. If he says that "he's coming to look this weekend" then no promises because they rarely follow through on that one.

I guess thats the issue thats bugging me the most is I did steps 1-3. Seller set the time due to his work schedule, otherwise I would have been there within an hour and even told him so. My wife thinks he just decided not to sell, which may be the case but be mature enough or have some common decency to stand up to your decisions, good or bad. I am just glad I double checked before driving an hour away otherwise I would have not known until I arrived that he had sold it.

A deal is when money is on the table or on the bank.
I was the same, but after getting a lot of time-wasters I did learn my lesson.
First come, first served seem to work best both ways. (I tell that to the people as well so they know what to expect)

A deal is when money is on the table or on the bank.
I was the same, but after getting a lot of time-wasters I did learn my lesson.
First come, first served seem to work best both ways. (I tell that to the people as well so they know what to expect)

You are up front about the time frame and I feel thats reasonable, and you are honest about it. I guess honesty is what is lacking at the root of this issue for me.

The amount of dishonest people out there makes me sick. As said, I’ve honored a few “first call” purchasers with heartwarming stories about why this is what they’ve been looking for only to see them flip it the following week. Now, I promise only that it will be for sale until someone shows up with the cash and I could care less about their personal tales of woe or scheduling conflicts. Get here first and you might be successful.

Also, it seems that even when you list something for a fair price, you’ll get two or three calls wanting to offer you 50% of asking price without even seeing it. It’s plainly obvious they are only looking to make a buck or two by flipping it. I even laugh when they say “I've got the money right here in my hand” like somehow that will change my mind.

My friend was looking for a used ski and I found what sounded like a pretty good deal. I’m on the phone with the seller asking questions to determine if it’s mechanically sound or they are just playing stupid and trying to dump it. First thing my buddy says is “ask them if they will take X” . I decline to do so. Afterwards he asks me why. I said what would you think if you had a item for sale, knew it was in perfect condition, then without even seeing it, someone trys to low ball you?

“I’d be pissed” he says. Exactly....

Now, I promise only that it will be for sale until someone shows up with the cash and I could care less about their personal tales of woe or scheduling conflicts. Get here first and you might be successful.

In my case that is just it.... Seller was at work until 7pm. I asked if he would rather me come when he gets off work or the next morning since he works in the evening. He said he would rather the next morning and wold have all the paperwork ready. I messaged him at 730pm to confirm for the next morning, just incase something had popped up or he needed me to come then. Thats when I found out he sold it at 530. Not sure how since he was supposed to be at work. But i guess i should count my blessings. If the seller was this shady to begin with there is no telling the true condition of the skis.

I must be a magnet for odd folks. Found another machine but seller want to meet an a certain day, and place but won't give a time.......maybe he sold it. Again another situation where I said i would bring money now, but buyer says wait until X day and we will do it then when he's free. Strange....just strange....

I lost the race by a nose yesterday evening and thought of this thread. A friend called me and said that a good looking Seadoo that runs just popped up on fb marketplace for 300 in my town with no title. I had the wife message them and they called me right away. I already had an empty trailer behind the car from the ski I sold the night before so I told them "I'll be right over" and she said "OK he is out there by it at the garage".

I pulled through an ATM on the way and pulled up to a shiny GSX RFI no more than 20 minutes after being notified about the deal. The guy says it "just sold, I mean JUST sold". I guess they had a boat for sale a guy was looking at and when he heard about what I was pulling up for he handed them the money. Only bright spot is that I have too many skis and don't do RFI's.

People are snapping these things up right and left, seems like. No wonder, considering a new ski will set you back a pretty penny these days despite the uber-low rates they're nowhere near cheap and there's no return on cash in the bank so what's a pathetic bilge rat looking for a ski to do? :)

People are snapping these things up right and left, seems like. No wonder, considering a new ski will set you back a pretty penny these days despite the uber-low rates they're nowhere near cheap and there's no return on cash in the bank so what's a pathetic bilge rat looking for a ski to do? :)
That's exactly it, the used ski market is definitely skewd to the seller's favor, the cost to enter with a new machine is more than many people pay for cars. In the back of every bilge rat's mind is 'well even if it takes a grand or two to get it up to snuff I'm still well ahead of the game for this toy'.

Back