SeaDoo Speedster Cutting Out at 2000RPM

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GPowrie

I bought a 96 SeaDoo Speedster for the kids to play with this summer. It has been running great until yesterday. The left engine (717) starts and idles fine but when you accelerate to 2000 RPM the engine quits. It will immediately start back up but quits again at 2000 RPM. Right engine works fine. Changed plugs and fuel filters. No change. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?
Thanks!!!!!

I have no personal experience with these types of vessels...but your description is saying and the engine is acting like it hits a RevLimit and quits. That would/could possibly indicate a potential "electric" problem in my brain....just spit-balling on this one though !?

First try changing the spark plugs.

If that doesn't work rebuild the carbs with only Genuine Mikuni parts.

Changed the plugs and fuel filters. No change. I was wondering if there is an electrical item that could be causing this. Only the left engine at 2000 RPM. Worked great until Saturday. Grounds, sensors?

Changed the plugs and fuel filters. No change. I was wondering if there is an electrical item that could be causing this. Only the left engine at 2000 RPM. Worked great until Saturday. Grounds, sensors?
Doesn't sputter or surge, just flat quits.

When you say you changed the fuel filters, what did you replace? Just the little element in the cup, or the whole assembly? Is the o ring in place?

So there are multiple pieces to you puzzle. You have on/res/off fuel selectors, water separators then small filters in the carbs abt it sounds like someone added another filter inline, which there was no need for.

With the age of the boat, those selectors are probably bad or on their way, the water separators need to be replaced and the carbs need to be rebuilt. If you want to risk it, you could go straight from the fuel baffle to the fuel pump on the carb and "test" it this way. That would cut out 2 possible places of fuel starvation. This is only a test, you'd still need to go thru the entire fuel system or risk leaving the engine out and ruining it.

#15 and in the area of 30 & 31 are what you'd be bypassing.

8280ad866a875597da9a5a458493b8d5.jpg

Yes, temporarily bypass all of the filters and selectors to that motor and see if your problem goes away. It sounds like a fairly large air leak or restriction to me. And get rid of the automotive filters, they are doing you more harm than good!

Selectors_the switch by your knee that turns the gas on and off?
Water separator, where is that?
I bought the Premium membership but can't get at the full manual.
P.S.
Thanks for the advise so far!

Yes there's an element inside. It's almost as much as the entire unit once you add the o-ring, not kidding. I just replace the entire thing. I get them at osdparts.com

Bypass first before you spend a dime

My xp did that and it was the accelerator pump not being tuned
I bought a 96 SeaDoo Speedster for the kids to play with this summer. It has been running great until yesterday. The left engine (717) starts and idles fine but when you accelerate to 2000 RPM the engine quits. It will immediately start back up but quits again at 2000 RPM. Right engine works fine. Changed plugs and fuel filters. No change. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?
Thanks!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back