Sea doo Challenger 2000

NHBrian

I have a 240 Merc on my 2000 Sea Doo Challenger and it works well, but when I am going slow through rivers, it constantly stalls. I tried changing the spark plugs. Doesn't matter if I go 40 mph for 10 minutes first. Everytime I slow down, it stalls every 20 or 50 ft. Any ideas? I have not replaced the fuel filter. I did have the stater replaced last year. Would love some insight.
Brian

Do you still have oil injection (oil pump)... or have you gone pre-mix? I would test the TPS. It can cause erratic idle and stalling. Also... do you have the 'Throttle Guardian' on your boat? I've read those are problematic and it is recommended to remove them. Get a spark tester and see if when it is about to stall... if spark has stopped. When running... what is the voltage at the battery (test for voltage regulators). I'd also go ahead with basic maintenance (filters and plugs). Good luck.

I have a 240 Merc on my 2000 Sea Doo Challenger and it works well, but when I am going slow through rivers, it constantly stalls. I tried changing the spark plugs. Doesn't matter if I go 40 mph for 10 minutes first. Everytime I slow down, it stalls every 20 or 50 ft. Any ideas? I have not replaced the fuel filter. I did have the stater replaced last year. Would love some insight.
Brian
Also—-
Check fuel pressure at top of engine,in front of flywheel. Should be 36psi.
Significantly higher or lower will cause problems. When you turn the key OFF, does the pressure drop slowly or instantly. Instant drop suggests leaky injectors.

Simplest test of all— Keep finger pressure on the emergency kill button/rubber cap. This rubber is old and may not be holding the center plunger depressed properly.

Use OEM NGK spark plugs.

Back