Screwed myself out of $5700- need repair help / advise please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

beergut

(Sorry for the long winded post)
Hey gents- so, I sold my 2018 trixx and bought a 2005 sportster 155. Wife & I thought the sportster would be better for towing our 3 kids around the lake on their tubes & boards- I learned my lesson with supercharged boats so I went with the 155 4-tec. But- in my haste to get a boat before the 4th of july, I screwed up and rushed the purchase without due diligence… I paid $5750 for this 05 sportster & trailer- I met the guy from seabrook, nh (another Marine vet like myself) in a Target parking lot in Lowell, mass- and closed the deal. I asked him about the boat- he said he replaced the wear ring and added a solas prop end of last season and everything was good except the speedo didn’t work. The boat looked really nice and it came with a nice bimini top, sea-doo boat cover, wake board, 2 tubes, 5 nice jackets and all the towing gear (about $1k worth of extras). Got the boat home july 4th morning just before the party- launched it…. Rpm’s winding out and boat is hardly planning. I knew right there the impeller & wear ring was toast. While out in the lake, I lifted the hatch and also saw a good 2-3 gallons of water in there- No tubing on the 4th. Following day I removed the pump- the solas prop, wear ring and pump housing vanes were junk. I’m either repairing the vanes or replacing the housing- you tell me. I figure while the pump is off, I’ll have a dealer do the carbon ring & seals on the shaft (assuming that’s where the water is leaking in from)- well lol… not one of the 7 seadoo dealers within a 90 minute radius will touch it! Wtf! So looks like I’ll be buying the special tools and doing the carbon seal myself. ALSO- while running the engine in the lake I smelled a wire burning- I found this after inspection but can’t identify it from the service manual- it’s 3 yellow wires in a triangle connector (see pics) AND the speedo / tach don’t work.
Aside from all that- the engine runs beautifully- all 3 cylinders have 150-153 psi- and the boat itself is in really nice shape; shiny gelcoat, nice interior.
So- will you guys please answer as many questions as you can below to help me out. Yes- I’m also paying for a premium membership here- it’s worth every penny!
Please don't beat me up too bad- I know I effed up- and it really stings knowing another Marine vet screwed me like this. I tried to contact him, but he's MIA- of course...
  1. Stamped pump housing part # is 267-000-046 but in the 2005 seadoo parts diagram it’s listed as 267-000-083- which one is correct, or are they compatible part #’s?
  2. Can this pump housing be repaired? The vanes took an awful beating. Maybe get in there with a dremel and clean it up?
  3. I’m mechanically inclined and own every tool in the book (former diesel mech) – I’ve rebuilt pumps on ski’s before but never replaced the carbon ring or shaft seals- am I looking at a major headache doing this myself?
  4. I found many 267-000-046 pump housings on ebay, but they don’t all look the same- are they different but with the same part #? Will a gtx 267-000-046 be the same as the speedster 267-000-046 pump?
  5. Any idea what the 3 yellow wires are? Red arrows indicate location in the photos. I’m a biomed technician in a hospital and have access to very high quality connectors- I’ll re-crimp another connector on- and still need to figure out why the wires shorted in the first place!
  6. Final question- is anyone alive at inland jet power sports? 15 calls and emails sent…. Crickets in return!
If anyone has parts I could use for this- let me know- I’ll buy’em!
Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• seadoo (1).jpg
    seadoo (1).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 94
  • seadoo (2).jpg
    seadoo (2).jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 105
  • seadoo (3).jpg
    seadoo (3).jpg
    243 KB · Views: 107
  • seadoo (4).jpg
    seadoo (4).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 107
  • seadoo (5).jpg
    seadoo (5).jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 118
  • seadoo (6).jpg
    seadoo (6).jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 115
  • seadoo (8).jpg
    seadoo (8).jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 117
  • seadoo (10).jpg
    seadoo (10).jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 112
  • seadoo (12).jpg
    seadoo (12).jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 116
  • seadoo (11).jpg
    seadoo (11).jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 116
well- i ordered the new impeller & pump housing from inland jet- I'm a little nervous about the company- they're not very attentive to their customers- especially those dropping $600 on parts. does ANYONE have any idea what those 3 yellow wires are connected to in the pic above?

The pump housing I have found out by replacing mine that the non supercharged and supercharged r the same. The impeller is different and drive shaft bigger on super charged models. It looks like he sucked up a ton of gravel and beat the crap out of the pump and impeller. I have a couple stock impellers and pump housings when I bought everything from the mounts out for mine. Mine has salt wate r damage so the stainless and aluminum corroded together and I had to cut some of it apart.
The carbon seal is super easy to do the worst part is laying across the motor, just get a couple 2x4 and lay on them. There is a pry bar set up I bought on eBay to help slid e the ring back to pull the C clip. If you can work on diesel this will be a.cake walk. There's a few videos on it out there but it's not bad at all.

The pump housing I have found out by replacing mine that the non supercharged and supercharged r the same. The impeller is different and drive shaft bigger on super charged models. It looks like he sucked up a ton of gravel and beat the crap out of the pump and impeller. I have a couple stock impellers and pump housings when I bought everything from the mounts out for mine. Mine has salt wate r damage so the stainless and aluminum corroded together and I had to cut some of it apart.
The carbon seal is super easy to do the worst part is laying across the motor, just get a couple 2x4 and lay on them. There is a pry bar set up I bought on eBay to help slid e the ring back to pull the C clip. If you can work on diesel this will be a.cake walk. There's a few videos on it out there but it's not bad at all.
thanks for the input- I ended up buying all the special tools to do the carbon seal- I figured it was worth the $150 to have the proper tools if I was doing it myself- they actually came today via FedEx. Now I'm just waiting for the seal kit to arrive. Inland jet said they won't have my pump and impeller ready until end of next week, so I'll have plenty of time to work on that carbon seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back