SBT Engine Report 951 Carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hello All, I just thought I'd report on some personal experience with SBT engines. These are pictures from the disassembly of a 951 Carb model I disassembled in September last year. I wasn't sure that SBT did the work and I really thought some jack leg built this engine. I recently spoke to the owner of the ski and he assured me that it was a new SBT engine with only about 4 or so hours on it. One of the pistons was broken but I found some disconcerting things as I disassembled the engine. Maybe this is standard practice for some people but not for me. I don't put copper coat on the head gasket and I surely don't put black RTV on the base gaskets. The engine to me looked like a failed engine someone just threw back together. I was told that the number on the engine might indicate that the engine was under warranty. At the time I said... if that is the kind of work they do, no thank you. I know a lot of people opt for a SBT engine. I'm just sharing what I found. I'll bet this engine cost the owner about $1500 or more. Sad that this is what you get. I'm feel very fortunate that I can do this type of work myself.

The owner told me they didn't run the engine hard at all and he assured me they purchased this engine from SBT. Hmmm....

Engine Disassembly (14).JPEG

Engine Disassembly (11).JPEG

Engine Disassembly (6).JPEG

Engine Disassembly 3 (1).JPEG

Engine Disassembly (5).JPEG

Engine Disassembly 3 (3).JPEG

Engine Disassembly 3 (4).JPEG

The Good News is that SBT Pistons have a Lifetime Warranty! :D

"SBT offers the first jet ski piston to be sold with a LIFETIME WARRANTY against defect" ;)

The Heavy Black RTV Sealant on the Base Gaskets has been their standard assembly procedure for a very long time. They put so much on it, that it squeezes into the Cases risking Oil Lubrication Hole/Passage blockage. o_O

Did you happen to measure the Piston to Bore clearances? If too much, then Piston Slap cracked the Piston Skirts. That's on SBT.

If they were in spec, then the bent Con-Rod probably came from a hydro-locking event...

I have been watching some videos on how to do this yourself. Can any machine shop do the jugs also where to go and get a rebuilt crank?

The Good News is that SBT Pistons have a Lifetime Warranty! :D

"SBT offers the first jet ski piston to be sold with a LIFETIME WARRANTY against defect" ;)

The Heavy Black RTV Sealant on the Base Gaskets has been their standard assembly procedure for a very long time. They put so much on it, that it squeezes into the Cases risking Oil Lubrication Hole/Passage blockage. o_O

Did you happen to measure the Piston to Bore clearances? If too much, then Piston Slap cracked the Piston Skirts. That's on SBT.

If they were in spec, then the bent Con-Rod probably came from a hydro-locking event...

I think I measured the cylinder bores which is why I didn't think SBT did the engine. I figured they would not build and engine with the cylinder bores in that condition. It is enough for me to see that engine to NEVER buy from SBT. Yes it was not a hydrolocking event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back