Sand in the Intake & Under the Head Cover

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabs

Pulling the engine out of my 2000 Sea-Doo GTX 787 RFI, took off the exhaust and intake manifold and found a ton of what I think is sand in the intake ports going to the cylinders. I also took off the head cover and there was a ton of buildup and sand, which I assume came through the cooling lines. There's also rust in the cylinders and the motor is hydro-locked. I'm gonna check the intake grate and see how all this stuff got into these places and prevent it once the ski is back together. Got a lot of work ahead of me, might swap the engine but might strip it and clean it we'll see. The reason for the post is to ask if anyone has been in a similar situation, what was your course of action? What do you recommend based on your experience? Thanks in advance!

Here’s some pics of what I found yesterday. No idea how sand got to the intake manifold any thoughts?

Attachments

• 68565C11-A40C-4CF3-AAC3-D7568183D512.jpeg
    68565C11-A40C-4CF3-AAC3-D7568183D512.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 584DFB73-CFC2-4351-A7CF-57A444E72AAF.jpeg
    584DFB73-CFC2-4351-A7CF-57A444E72AAF.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 15
The jetpump will suck up everything,,,up and into the cylinders,,,thats why doing reverse flushes can be important,,,also,,,I bet you have sand in the cylinder drain hose.

ok good to know once its back together that'll be on the maintenance list. next I'm taking out the pump and driveshaft so I'll take a look in there. is there any way to put a filter or a screen on the pump so it only sucks in water?

On our 800 cc LTD race ski,,,we have an inline water filter just before it goes into head,,,so now and then,,,we reverse flush only it.

Interesting, the filter is definitely something to add and i'll start flushing it next season. A skilled mechanic could rebuild this engine, but I am far from that, I'll add some pics soon of the current state of the ski.
In the market for an engine either the same model that came out or a different one that fits with this model ski.

i'll tinker with this engine but don't have a lot of time now that I'm back at school. were stripping it down right now and i think it will give some experience that will help in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back