Ran great now won’t start… help please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
So I just bought a 2008 sea-doo rxt 215 took it out on the water for the first time for me yesterday. It ran flawlessly no rough idling or anything. Went on about 30 minute ride and docked at a trading post to go in and buy a snack and some water to drink. About 20 minutes later we get back on the ski ready to leave and it just clicks the previous owner said he would have to pull the seats off and let it cool before it would crank after a long ride. ( I’m not losing coolant, and it’s not doing the indefinite beeps for overheat alarm.) took the seats off let it cool tried to crank, called a buddy of mine who was about 5 miles away to come tow me in and when he got there it cranked right up and ran for about 2 hours more I didn’t shut it off again for fear of it not cranking, got it on the trailer after our riding was done and killed it waited .5 second and same thing. It was like the longer. It sat there the stronger the cranking was. Please help.
Thanks, Austin

Test the battery , solenoid or the starter could be faulty , could also be wiring as the connections can become corroded. One way to tell is when it won't crank hold the start button on for 5 seconds then feel all the connections from the battery to the starter , the connections with resistance will be hot.

Test the battery , solenoid or the starter could be faulty , could also be wiring as the connections can become corroded. One way to tell is when it won't crank hold the start button on for 5 seconds then feel all the connections from the battery to the starter , the connections with resistance will be hot.
It has a new battery and new starter. It cranks fine cold but it’s like after a long ride it doesn’t want to crank pull the seats off let the engine cool it cranks right up no problem. Could it be a bad sensor?

How would I go about testing the starter solenoid I mean the starter is engaging it just turns over once or twice then locks out hooked a jump pack to it and spun over a little more after sitting a few minutes but it’s like it’s cutting spark or fuel, I changed the plugs today and it did the same thing went out on the water for about and hour and a half got it loaded back up killed it and tried to crank it back while engine was warm and nothing halfway turn over

So you are saying the starter stays engaged but it will not turn over? Correct ? Just ruling out the Bendix. So New starter and battery helps (usually) , If all is well inside the engine and the pump is not seizing up then it has to be either charging is weak or bad connection. Weak charging , if you have a good meter the battery should be around 12.8 volts resting and at least 13.5 running , when batteries sit around for a while after being discharged they regain a bit of power , you could consider doing a load test , even when new they can be a dud. For bad connection , no way to test the solenoid other than what I said , when it won't crank hold it for 5 seconds , then feel all the connections and the solenoid to see if they're hot (including the grounds, big and small) , process of elimination or what they call flow chart analysis. Just by what you have been describing I'm thinking it's a resistance issue , but I would do the voltage test first to eliminate that.

I can explain a Bendix concern, because I experience it occasionally on my 2007 Seadoo GTI SE with 312 hours on it. Many probably are familiar with an automotive starter, that has both the starter motor and a Bendix solenoid/gear on the starter - when you turn the key on in your car, the solenoid energizes, overcoming the spring that pulls the Bendix back from the flywheel, and pushes the Bendix gear into your flywheel to turn the engine over with the starter motor providing the torque.

I am far from an expert here, but fundamentally I learned a while ago that the starter motor on a Seadoo is just the motor, and when you replace the starter, you are replacing just the motor. The Bendix is essentially a mechanical internal engine component, lubricated internally with engine oil, and has a spring that is overcome with the starter spinning and the Bendix is pushed into the flywheel to start the engine. I think the spring works in reverse from a car though, where the spring keeps the Bendix engaged on a Seadoo? Regardless, When you release the start button, the starter stops spinning, the Bendix pulls away from the flywheel, and the engine is now running.

My ski starts great cold, with the starter motor engaging the Bendix firmly and completely until the engine starts. When hot, and I am listening carefully or have the seat off, the Bendix will disengage and the engine stops turning over, and the starter is still spinning with a light spinning noise. I might have to try starting 2 or 3 times to get the Bendix engaged long enough to start the engine. I have made sure my battery is well charged and connections are all clean. I replaced the ground cable as a precaution and it didn’t change anything. I have contemplated changing the positive cable as a precaution, but haven’t - I don’t think it is a problem. The dealer told me the issue is that the Bendix spring is old and weak, and is affected by temperature, and that is why I sometimes get it disengaging after just a second or two of turning the engine over. The kicker: you have to either pull the engine or do some major work to replace the Bendix and I am not up for it, on a ski works well enough. My dealer quoted me minimum $1200 in labor and no guarantee the Bendix is 100% the issue because they can’t duplicate the concern without riding around an hour or two and letting the ski sit for a while and hot soak like I do when enjoying a day on the river. The ski is in great shape, and maybe I will have to do it someday…

So after you make sure you have a good battery, connections clean and good, and cables are good - listen to see if you hear your starter spinning and not turning the engine over - that could indicate a Bendix spring concern when hot. Hope most of this is helpful and directionally correct for other novices like me.

I can explain a Bendix concern, because I experience it occasionally on my 2007 Seadoo GTI SE with 312 hours on it. Many probably are familiar with an automotive starter, that has both the starter motor and a Bendix solenoid/gear on the starter - when you turn the key on in your car, the solenoid energizes, overcoming the spring that pulls the Bendix back from the flywheel, and pushes the Bendix gear into your flywheel to turn the engine over with the starter motor providing the torque.

I am far from an expert here, but fundamentally I learned a while ago that the starter motor on a Seadoo is just the motor, and when you replace the starter, you are replacing just the motor. The Bendix is essentially a mechanical internal engine component, lubricated internally with engine oil, and has a spring that is overcome with the starter spinning and the Bendix is pushed into the flywheel to start the engine. I think the spring works in reverse from a car though, where the spring keeps the Bendix engaged on a Seadoo? Regardless, When you release the start button, the starter stops spinning, the Bendix pulls away from the flywheel, and the engine is now running.

My ski starts great cold, with the starter motor engaging the Bendix firmly and completely until the engine starts. When hot, and I am listening carefully or have the seat off, the Bendix will disengage and the engine stops turning over, and the starter is still spinning with a light spinning noise. I might have to try starting 2 or 3 times to get the Bendix engaged long enough to start the engine. I have made sure my battery is well charged and connections are all clean. I replaced the ground cable as a precaution and it didn’t change anything. I have contemplated changing the positive cable as a precaution, but haven’t - I don’t think it is a problem. The dealer told me the issue is that the Bendix spring is old and weak, and is affected by temperature, and that is why I sometimes get it disengaging after just a second or two of turning the engine over. The kicker: you have to either pull the engine or do some major work to replace the Bendix and I am not up for it, on a ski works well enough. My dealer quoted me minimum $1200 in labor and no guarantee the Bendix is 100% the issue because they can’t duplicate the concern without riding around an hour or two and letting the ski sit for a while and hot soak like I do when enjoying a day on the river. The ski is in great shape, and maybe I will have to do it someday…

So after you make sure you have a good battery, connections clean and good, and cables are good - listen to see if you hear your starter spinning and not turning the engine over - that could indicate a Bendix spring concern when hot. Hope most of this is helpful and directionally correct for other novices like me.
Once mine gets hot and won’t crank till it cools down a little it gives symptoms of a bad battery or weak starter but it baffles me because it sits for 10 minutes and cranks up no problem it like the longer I let it cool down the stronger the starter and battery are.

So you are saying the starter stays engaged but it will not turn over? Correct ? Just ruling out the Bendix. So New starter and battery helps (usually) , If all is well inside the engine and the pump is not seizing up then it has to be either charging is weak or bad connection. Weak charging , if you have a good meter the battery should be around 12.8 volts resting and at least 13.5 running , when batteries sit around for a while after being discharged they regain a bit of power , you could consider doing a load test , even when new they can be a dud. For bad connection , no way to test the solenoid other than what I said , when it won't crank hold it for 5 seconds , then feel all the connections and the solenoid to see if they're hot (including the grounds, big and small) , process of elimination or what they call flow chart analysis. Just by what you have been describing I'm thinking it's a resistance issue , but I would do the voltage test first to eliminate that.
Yes starter stays engaged it’s not doing the free spinning like the other guy is talking about I’m about to hook a hose up and let it run for a second and check the battery. I will check back with you.

When the Bendix is acting up it is a good idea to replace it as it can take out the teeth on the ring gear because Seadoos do not use an arm to engage the ring gear before it applies electricity to the starter like many vehicles do , they use centrifugal engagement which is not the best but it does work. Or it will one day just not engage and who knows where you could be when that happens, now if you are comfortable with it the way it is then so be it , but just letting you know that it can cause bigger problems down the road.

Monitor the battery voltage while starting, if it is locked up should draw a wicked amount of current & something will get hot as DD said.

I haven’t got overly excited about replacing my Bendix, because it starts great most of the time. It seems it is only when hot that is harder, and it is occasionally. That and the cost to replace the Bendix - I wouldn’t do that one myself. But I do get a little concerned when it disengages and makes me think my battery might be weak or starter weak, but both are relatively new.

Back