Question Newb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

baum

This looks like a very helpful forum!

So the opportunity has risen to purchase a 96 challenger with a 110hp motor for $1500 with trailer. The seller says it starts and runs. But not real great. He had the motor rebuilt 3 to 4 years ago. He said he hasnt really used it in 2 years. He said when he winterized it he just let all the water out, and put stable in it. And covered it.

Is it ok to start them up dry for a few seconds to test it or how should i do that (since lakes are still frozen here)? What else should i look for on this model?

Is this a good buy? If it starts and runs besides a tune up what else sould i look at? I am new to the boating world. But I know people with small engine backgrounds.

Thanks for any help.

Is it ok to start them up dry for a few seconds to test it or how should i do that (since lakes are still frozen here)? What else should i look for on this model?

Is this a good buy? If it starts and runs besides a tune up what else sould i look at? I am new to the boating world. But I know people with small engine backgrounds.

Thanks for any help.

The first thing you want to do is a compression test
Then you can start it and if you are only going to "pop it off" OK but if you are going to run it nore than about 8 seconds then get the guarden hose out
Do not trust just poping it off , I biught a jet ski a few years back that would start right up but it turned out that it had 1 shot piston and I did not know how it was suposed to sound like so it sounded good to me .

Im not up on seadoo like the other guys, but seems that some of the older boats came with grey fuel lines that were eaten away by the gas(go figure) and clog up the carbs. If so this is a good candidate for the problem. Check to see if the steering cables are frozen, along with the throttle, choke, trim, and reverse. CHeck for bilge pump and bilge fan operation. Seats run at least 600 if they need redone. Hook up the trailer, see if the lights all work.

So the opportunity has risen to purchase a 96 challenger with a 110hp motor for $1500 with trailer. The seller says it starts and runs. But not real great. He had the motor rebuilt 3 to 4 years ago. He said he hasnt really used it in 2 years. He said when he winterized it he just let all the water out, and put stable in it. And covered it.

Thanks for any help.

Think thats a score, considering the compression good. Anything above110-120psi, but if 1 cylinder is 135lb, and other is 110lb..not good, someting wong. But , if comp. good, seats alright(colored duct tape works great for now) underbelly aint all chipped /gouged up, think your good to go, but i'd still rip thru carb/s at least, gas filter, then go tear ur up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back