Question about adding in-line fuel filter to 787 gsx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

grusnak1001

I took carbs off this weekend and cleaned the little screens in each carb and now it runs better than ever. The job wasn't as easy as most people suggest, so goung foward I would like to avoid this activity by adding an in-line fuel filter. First of all, I have 2 lines. one connecting down below at the first carb, and one connecting to the second carb (up above, towards the rear). My question is do I need just one filter (if so, to which line do I connect it to) or do I need a filter for each line? Also, all fittings are 1/4 inch (I think), and I am confused.... if adding a 1/4 inch filter would restrict gas flo ( I can't possibly think so since there are other 1/4 inch connections) but some people say it will hurt performance. One person on-line stated after adding an in-line fuel filter, he has to prime the system after long periods of use. Is this true? Finally What filter would be best?

You should have a water separator/filter already in the ski. Don't add another filter they generally only cause grief to the owner. I tried adding another filter just for safety and clean fuel. The weirdest things happened. I couldn't keep it running for long. People suggested removing the "in-line" filter and sure enough that filter was the problem. You already have a screen on the bottom of the fuel baffle long with the water separator/filter above the fuel tank.

As the other person mentioned to you, yes I had trouble starting my ski immediately after installing the in-line filter so... I opted for a smaller diameter filter. The ski was still more difficult to start. I think concerning those filters that the diameter of the line and the fuel pump performance is an issue. Probably because lots of in-line filters get an amount of air in them. I'm not sure. I just know that when I tossed my in-ling filter I never had trouble with the ski again.

Just make sure your current system is in place and functioning properly. You should be good. Happy Riding !!

If you want to add a inline filter get a inline filter for a yamaha and add it before the water separating filter.its not really needed but have had customers insist on adding them.after the water separating filter they take away fuel pressure don't know why but they do.so I started adding them before the filter cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back