Possible GTX DI Rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaarrEagle

My family owns a 2000 GTX DI that has a blown motor. We purchased it used ~15 years ago and have never done any major motor work to it. It currently has just under 300 hrs on it. It ran rough for several years before finally refusing to start last year. A local shop did a compression test and I forgot the numbers but one cylinder was good and the other was less than half what it should be. At that point they said a new motor was needed and we took it back home.

After much reading and self-education, I suspect a fuel pressure issue resulted in a lean mixture that eventually caused the engine to fail. I am contemplating taking this on as a project. I understand how important fuel and air pressure are to these DI's, so I know some work is likely required there. As for the motor, is swapping in a rebuilt motor the best choice at this point? Or do I need to open it up and diagnose the problem further? I can't rebuild it myself but am pretty confident I could swap in a rebuilt motor. Overall I am pretty savvy but not with internal engine work.

SBT sells reman engines.
There are also a couple of shops that will rebuild your engine.
Personally I would rebuild my own engine as I am a DIY type person.
If you down load a manual along with help from the Members here it would be a snap.
The best deal on a crankshaft is OEM reman. Just take your old crank to the dealer for a core. I personally use WSM Pistons.
Whatever avenue you take make sure you get the manual and take lots of engine removal/disassembly pictures.
While the engine is out pull the pump and go through it replacing the filters along with a really good cleaning. Then send the injectors to South Bay Injectors for cleaning/testing.

I am plowing through a rebuild on a 2002 RX DI right now so I'd be happy to at least show you what I've done so far and the mistakes I've made. :)

It is a lot of back and forth to the manual, Youtube, the forums, etc. and it can be a chore at times (to varying degrees depending on your experience and resources, tools). If that's not something you enjoy, or if you're trying to get it done ASAP then rebuilding it yourself is probably not the best idea.

Top end can be done for around $300 by the owner. The fuel system needs to be done as well. I'd bet a bad injector is the reason the cylinder failed and it will fail again if you don't address it. If you only want to do it once.... rebuilding the engine complete is a good option. Good Luck

JoeZ and Hfgreg are the administrators of this forum. They sell WSM parts and can get you whatever you need. I personally like WSM parts.

I just pulled a 2003 DI engine and sent it out for rebuilding. I have to say.... you started with the big dog. LOL As I pulled the engine I'm standing there wondering.... what the hey is "this or that". LOL I enjoy doing this kind of stuff but I'm kinda snowed under and for the price... it was a pretty good deal to have the engine done by a shop.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the replies. From these comments and other reading I have deduced the following:
  • A top overhaul may get it running again, but at this age, a full overhaul/replacement is the smart choice.
  • The engine needs to come out of the ski to address the bottom end.
  • I really wont know for sure what is busted until I open it up.
  • If the cylinder walls are scored, it will need to be bored larger and/or replaced. What are the pros/cons of this decision? I am not worried about trying to get more than stock performance.
  • The root cause of the failure needs to be addressed (fuel pressure, injector, air, etc).
I am mechanically inclined but have never rebuilt a motor. It sounds like a good challenge and I am not in a hurry.

Rebuilt motors run $1500-$2000 plus shipping. What is the general cost in parts for a full rebuild?

Yes you will need to bore the cylinders. Piston kits usually come in 0.25mm increments. Most I have done usually take 0.5 to 0.75mm oversize. Measure cylinders first order pistons, then take cylinders and new pistons to a machine shop.

Yes pull the engine. Makes it easier.

You pull the fuel pump and I will be willing to bet you find the root cause. With that said you got 300hrs on a DI ski. That is pretty good.

Make sure you rebuild the compressor while apart.

Depends on where you buy your parts, but you should save five to eight hundred dollars.

At 300 hours your crank and balancer are on borrowed time and will not survive just a top end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back