Please help! 2004 rxp getting gas in the oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Chris-5

Checked oil before first ride of the season spot on in the center of operating range. Checked again before second ride and the oil was about 1” above the high end of operating range. Syphoned back to operating range same thing on second ride. Dealership won’t look at it they say it’s too old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you!

Last edited:
Pull the fuel rail,,,put the key on,,,see if an injector is leaking,,,there sites on here that guys send their injectors out to be cleaned.

Pull the fuel rail,,,put the key on,,,see if an injector is leaking,,,there sites on here that guys send their injectors out to be cleaned.
So it will leak if it’s leaking with just the key In. not started? Again thanks for your response!!

Before you start replacing parts, confirm it is gas not coolant.
How did you decide it was gas?
Has your coolant level dropped?

The blow by from running it may cause the fuel smell.

You may want to run the engine, then siphon the oil out and put in a couple of clear 2 liter coke bottles to see if moisture settles to the bottom.

One other source of water is the heat exchanger which is cooled by sea water, not engine coolant.

Mine was not winterized properly and had a small leak in it. A slight amount of water remained it it and froze which caused the leak.

They are easy to check if you suspect it.

The blow by from running it may cause the fuel smell.

You may want to run the engine, then siphon the oil out and put in a couple of clear 2 liter coke bottles to see if moisture settles to the bottom.

One other source of water is the heat exchanger which is cooled by sea water, not engine coolant.

Mine was not winterized properly and had a small leak in it. A slight amount of water remained it it and froze which caused the leak.

They are easy to check if you suspect it.
Ok I will try that. thank you!

I pulled the fuel rail, put the key in and none of the injectors were leaking. Do you suggest just ordering 3 new ones?

If you extract some oil,,.and look at its viscosity,,,see how thin or thick it is,,,and how it smells...that may help you with this,,,

How does the machine run? I am throwing shade that you have a leaky injector because if it were that bad the machine would run awful.

The oil level on these machines is complicated as they are basically a dry sump. Depending on how the oil was changed, most often if they don't measure what came out and just fill based on what it takes, you will overfill it.

One other possibility is a leak in the exhaust manifold raw water jacket. Again unlikely if the machine is running fine.

How does the machine run? I am throwing shade that you have a leaky injector because if it were that bad the machine would run awful.

The oil level on these machines is complicated as they are basically a dry sump. Depending on how the oil was changed, most often if they don't measure what came out and just fill based on what it takes, you will overfill it.

One other possibility is a leak in the exhaust manifold raw water jacket. Again unlikely if the machine is running fine.
The machine runs fine, I’ve owned it for 14 years and never had this issue with the oil. I do the oil changes myself think I usually put 3 quarts in. Based off of what everyone’s is saying I think my next step is to just buy new injectors and try that.
I appreciate your response!

Presuming your heat exchanger is located in the intake manifold like mine the best way is-
Pull it out
Empty all water out of it
Pressurize it with about 10PSI of air
Put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water and look for air bubbles

Same way used to find leaks in inner tubes.

Buy a new rubber end seal and reinstall it.

Suggest you have the oil analyzed as mentioned above. You may be worrying about nothing.

Gas or Water in the oil is definitely something to worry about. You don't want to wash your cylinders or toast your bearings. I'd personally diagnose the issue before riding anymore.

Are you checking the oil right after the ride? If so you might just be seeing the oil sticking to the tube. Pull the dipstick, let it sit overnight. Then check.

Do the cardboard test to check for fuel in the oil. Take a clean new piece of brown cardboard box, drop just one or two drops of oil off the dipstick onto the cardboard. If there is fuel present you will see 2 rings on the cardboard pretty quick. The outer ring will be fuel the inner dot oil. Fuel absorbs quicker into the cardboard than oil.

Presuming your heat exchanger is located in the intake manifold like mine the best way is-
Pull it out
Empty all water out of it
Pressurize it with about 10PSI of air
Put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water and look for air bubbles

Same way used to find leaks in inner tubes.

Buy a new rubber end seal and reinstall it.

Suggest you have the oil analyzed as mentioned above. You may be worrying about nothing.
Ok will try that thank you for your response!

Gas or Water in the oil is definitely something to worry about. You don't want to wash your cylinders or toast your bearings. I'd personally diagnose the issue before riding anymore.

Are you checking the oil right after the ride? If so you might just be seeing the oil sticking to the tube. Pull the dipstick, let it sit overnight. Then check.

Do the cardboard test to check for fuel in the oil. Take a clean new piece of brown cardboard box, drop just one or two drops of oil off the dipstick onto the cardboard. If there is fuel present you will see 2 rings on the cardboard pretty quick. The outer ring will be fuel the inner dot oil. Fuel absorbs quicker into the cardboard than oil.
Thank you for your reply. I have check it cold and also check it after 5 mins on the hose letting it sit for a bit. Haven’t taken her out this year dont wanna damage the engine.
Last summer I did 2 oil changes on it worried about how much the level has gone up.
per previous reply’s I have received I popped the head and replaced the rubber seal also replaced all fuel injectors. I haven’t heard about the cardboard check i will try that
thank you!

Back