Optimax 200 in 2001 Utopia 185 - starting issue likes its flooded

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDBender

I have a 2001 Utopia 185 w200 Optimax ... I just replaced the sparkplugs and took it for a test run on the water and it ran excellent.
I put it in neutral to float in the water and it stalled and wouldn't start. It felt like is was flooded. I had a can of starting fluid and spayed a bit in the air intake and it fired up long enough for me to engage the throttle to give it gas and it took off quite nicely.

NOTE: this boat has been in the family since new and it ALWAYS started instantly and idled in the water with no issues.

NOTE: I did replace the Fuel Filter along with the spark plugs BUT did not replace the Fuel/Water Separator (just didn't have one BUT just ordered one).

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

I have a 2001 Utopia 185 w200 Optimax ... I just replaced the sparkplugs and took it for a test run on the water and it ran excellent.
I put it in neutral to float in the water and it stalled and wouldn't start. It felt like is was flooded. I had a can of starting fluid and spayed a bit in the air intake and it fired up long enough for me to engage the throttle to give it gas and it took off quite nicely.

NOTE: this boat has been in the family since new and it ALWAYS started instantly and idled in the water with no issues.

NOTE: I did replace the Fuel Filter along with the spark plugs BUT did not replace the Fuel/Water Separator (just didn't have one BUT just ordered one).

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Check fuel pressure and air pressure.

Thank you but ... can you direct me to online resource to know how to do this?
I assume I need a special tool.

So here is what I resolved:
Engine fires up every time BUT is a rough idle. About 40% of the time it stalls but then it will start again

Fuel Pressure (while idling rough) jumps between 50-70 mostly 60 ave
Air Pressure (while idling rough) jumps between 40-60 psi mostly 50 ave

I have replaced the fuel filter, water separator filter, replaced spark plugs, and new air filter.

Any thoughts on heading me in a new direction ... would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back