Oil residue on boat Starboard side Exhaust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stundies

Just re-installed my carbs on my 96 Speedster with twin 717's, after having them serviced. Seems to run fine and rev free. One thing ive noticed, the Port side exhaust is a lot cleaner than the Starboard side. I run premix 40:1 Fuel/Oil so should be the same going to each Carb. Running on drive, hose fed water looks a lot browner in colour on Starboard side from Exhsust, so can visibly see Oil. What the issue and how to fix??FB_IMG_1568142747617.jpg
FB_IMG_1568142755745.jpg

The clean exhaust motor, ( port) ,is running more efficiently (cleaner) than the starboard motor. It could be compression, it could be carburation. It could be ignition. What do you mean when you said the motors were serviced?

The carbs were serviced i.e. Hyper-sonic (??) cleaned, new springs, new diaphragms etc...

I am thinking as its a closed loop oil system, that it could be drawing oil up from the bottom end then chucking it out of the Exhaust maybe. I will get a compression test done first as well as change the plugs for some new ones.

Compression will not tell you if you have a crank seal leak.
If it is leaking enough through the crank seals to cause an issue then it would be flooded with oil after sitting a few days.

On a side note, all my skis look like your black exhaust picture, don't have oil leaks, don't foul plugs and run perfectly. Better to be a little rich than lean on a 2-stroke.
I would be much more concerned with the extra clean side running too lean than anything else.

Cheers mikidymac, what do I need to do to the Port side then to make it less lean when running pre-mix 40:1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back