Oil question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

I am just getting back into boating. In 89 I had a Kaw 650 stand up and I blocked off, milled head and I premixed. There was this oil we used that was a golden color and the exhaust had a different smell.

I bought a 1997 Seadoo Challenger a month ago and emptied all the oil out and wanted to put fresh synthetic.
So as I'm about to put in yesterday I looked at front of bottle and it says Engine Oil and it didn't have the mixture ratios on the bottle. With all the 4 strokes now I figured it was crank case. But right there in the first sentence on the back it says for premix 2 stroke....lol Just wanted to make sure.

The guy I bought it from said the mechanic that worked on it recently gave him this bottle with the mixture ratio on it. The gas looked really dark. When we took a test run, it ran ok. I removed anyway and put fresh marine gas.

Attachments

• 4 stroke oil.jpg
    4 stroke oil.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 9
Unless that bottle has been refilled with 2stroke oil it’s 4 stroke and will destroy your engine.

The big question is why are you premixing instead of using the factory oil injection?

Also never premix at 30:1. I wouldn’t trust this “mechanic “.

If you must use the wrong oil, then I suggest 10:1 ratio, carry a spare set of plugs and you're on your own when it comes to surprises.

Back in the day, We used to run 10:1 non-detergent motor oil in our old egg beaters that had babbit metal rod and crank bearings (pre-date of today's needle bearings), they fouled plugs constantly and smoked like a mosquito fogger, your hair always stunk. I still use this ratio when I pull them out and fire them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back