Oil Leaking from Exhaust in my '96 Sportster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

daw45

I just rebuilt the carbs in my '96 sportster and re-installed them. I started it up (with water running thru it) and ran it for a minute or so.....sounded great, ran with no issue. This morning I started it up to make sure it was good to go for the lake. Got to the lake...put it in the water and it wouldn't fire up. We pulled it out, poured a little gas in the carbs and it fired up but it was smoking more than usual from the exhaust and oil was dripping from the exhaust. ...shut it off...got it home...and it won't start. Do you think there is too much oil being pumped? what could cause this? Any help is appreciated.

First off, never have the water hose on without the engine running.
Never run it on the hose for more than about a minute or you will burn up the driveshaft seal.
There is no good reason to run them on the hose unless you are flushing the cooling system.

As far as the flooding it sounds like you have a leaking needle and seat. Did you follow the carb rebuild thread exactly?
Did you check the carbs for leakdown after putting them back together per the Carb Rebuild Thread?

Never run it on the hose for more than about a minute or you will burn up the driveshaft seal.
There is no good reason to run them on the hose unless you are flushing the cooling system.

As far as the flooding it sounds like you have a leaking needle and seat. Did you follow the carb rebuild thread exactly?
Did you check the carbs for leakdown after putting them back together per the Carb Rebuild Thread?
only ran it with a hose for 30 sec - 1 min. it ran great then and the next morning when I stuttered it up and ran it for another 30 seconds...without water......there wasn't any smoke or water leaking from the exhaust. After it wouldn't start at the lake and I started it with some gas in the carbs, i noticed the smoke and oil dripping from the exhaust. What would cause that?

In my experience, running great then flooded with stuff dripping out of the exhaust is leaking needle and seats.

Even with the oil injection cable missing and going full oil, it shouldn't behave as you described. Having said that, absolutely check the oil pump adjustment whenever removing the carbs.

Did you follow all steps of the carb rebuild thread including final pressure test?

In my experience, running great then flooded with stuff dripping out of the exhaust is leaking needle and seats.

Even with the oil injection cable missing and going full oil, it shouldn't behave as you described. Having said that, absolutely check the oil pump adjustment whenever removing the carbs.

Did you follow all steps of the carb rebuild thread including final pressure test?
Did not do pressure test.

You COULD possibly test the carbs (both at the same time) inlet chambers (the chamber just before the fuel inlet needle) by seeing if the return line fitting can hold pressure back to the carbs. You wouldn't be testing pop off pressure, just whether the needles would hold pressure for a short time at say 10 PSI. Quick and dirty.

You COULD possibly test the carbs (both at the same time) inlet chambers (the chamber just before the fuel inlet needle) by seeing if the return line fitting can hold pressure back to the carbs. You wouldn't be testing pop off pressure, just whether the needles would hold pressure for a short time at say 10 PSI. Quick and dirty.
thanks. I'll try it

replaced needle and seat....seems to have fixed the flooding problem.

I just rebuilt the carbs in my '96 sportster and re-installed them. I started it up (with water running thru it) and ran it for a minute or so.....sounded great, ran with no issue. This morning I started it up to make sure it was good to go for the lake. Got to the lake...put it in the water and it wouldn't fire up. We pulled it out, poured a little gas in the carbs and it fired up but it was smoking more than usual from the exhaust and oil was dripping from the exhaust. ...shut it off...got it home...and it won't start. Do you think there is too much oil being pumped? what could cause this? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks for all the fast suggestions. she seems to be fixed. Will know once we get her in the water.

Back