OIL Change and winterizing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR 215

Hi everyone I have a question. I have a 2014 GTR215 and this year I didn't get out as much as I wanted (3 times) total. Do you guys think it is still necessary to do a full oil/filter change and spark plugs or can I get away with skipping that this year. Whats your thoughts.?

Im going to change it but Im not sure where you get your oil from. BRP oil and filter for 1500 cc 4 stroke is $100 for less then 4 litres is not cheep LOL

pull the dipstick…look at the oil,,,see. If it looks dirty…and with your hours,,,I doubt it,,,pull a plug…with yours I doubt they need to be replaced.

pull the dipstick…look at the oil,,,see. If it looks dirty…and with your hours,,,I doubt it,,,pull a plug…with yours I doubt they need to be replaced.
I figured that, just second guessing my self. Don’t want to skip and something happen, but what your saying is what I was thinking. Thanks again

The oil is semi-syn and cheap, I would change it. Same for plugs....
Honest question. I see a lot of people that suggest changing the plugs every year. I have done it the last two years as well. But people go for years without changing their spark plugs in cars/trucks. Why is it more important with boats?

Last edited:
Couple of reasons:

1.. In my case, my boat sits for 6 months with absolutely no usage. Most vehicles weekly if not daily. The plug is coated but corrosion happens.
2.. In my boat, it makes 260 HP from 1.5 liters. That is 173 HP per Liter or 86 HP per cyl. The peak cyl pressures are extremely high to make this kind of HP. A little corrosion pit on the electrode at these pressures and it breaks. Not worth it for the $30 for me.

To put it in perspective:

5.0 Coyote Ford V8 would be 865 HP at this level of ratio. 3.5 EcoBoost 605 HP.

To put it another way. The Hellcat Demon is 808 HP from 6.2 L That would be 130.32 HP per liter.

These engines are high strung. Plugs are cheap.

Hi everyone I have a question. I have a 2014 GTR215 and this year I didn't get out as much as I wanted (3 times) total. Do you guys think it is still necessary to do a full oil/filter change and spark plugs or can I get away with skipping that this year. Whats your thoughts.?
Skip

I would skip, but make sure you run anti freeze through the exhaust cooling.
Yes I do that, including fogging the engine and lubricating outside the engine as well. I also blow out the antifreeze and any remaining water with a compressor.

You don't need to change it as long as it's clean looking, today's oils are far superior to yesteryears oil, they encapsulate impurities. But i wouldn't go more than 2 seasons. Spark plugs are fine I got 3years on my 2 stoke plugs before I change them. Anti freeze flush, fogging, and stabilizer a must. Semi pro tip- if you don,t have an air compressor use a leaf blower, seal end with your hand.

I change my oil, filter & spark plugs at the end of the boating season each year even though I average only 20-40 hours for the season.. I purchase the items from Amazon for $89.95 with free shipping included. Amazon sources them thru PWC Parts Co. I also run 2 gallon non toxic antifreeze thru the exhaust system via the flushing connector on the rear jet pump support. I pour the antifreeze into a 5 gallon pail and inject it into the jet pump with an old bilge pump connected to a flushing connector adapter. When the water expelled from the exhaust turns pink I know it's protected. Make sure you start the engine before injecting the antifreeze. When finished stop pumping the antifreeze then turn off the engine. Another tip is put a small amount of never seize on the spark plug threads before installing. I like to spray XPS lube into the cylinders before plug installation. Be careful not to let the spray can nozzle extension fall into the cylinder. I did this once and was lucky to remove it. I have a 2004 Sea Doo Sportster boat and if you have a jet ski I'm not sure if all of my recommendations apply. Best to check with your dealer or the operators manual. Hope this helps.

I change my oil, filter & spark plugs at the end of the boating season each year even though I average only 20-40 hours for the season.. I purchase the items from Amazon for $89.95 with free shipping included. Amazon sources them thru PWC Parts Co. I also run 2 gallon non toxic antifreeze thru the exhaust system via the flushing connector on the rear jet pump support. I pour the antifreeze into a 5 gallon pail and inject it into the jet pump with an old bilge pump connected to a flushing connector adapter. When the water expelled from the exhaust turns pink I know it's protected. Make sure you start the engine before injecting the antifreeze. When finished stop pumping the antifreeze then turn off the engine. Another tip is put a small amount of never seize on the spark plug threads before installing. I like to spray XPS lube into the cylinders before plug installation. Be careful not to let the spray can nozzle extension fall into the cylinder. I did this once and was lucky to remove it. I have a 2004 Sea Doo Sportster boat and if you have a jet ski I'm not sure if all of my recommendations apply. Best to check with your dealer or the operators manual. Hope this helps.
I think people don’t understand my post. I appreciate the help but let me clarify. I know how to winterize my machine. What I’m asking is because I only took it out 3 times and only maybe put 6 hours on it would I require to do a full winterization. Plugs/ oil and filter or can I skip it this winter. I checked the oil and the colour is looks brand new.

Couple of reasons:

1.. In my case, my boat sits for 6 months with absolutely no usage. Most vehicles weekly if not daily. The plug is coated but corrosion happens.
2.. In my boat, it makes 260 HP from 1.5 liters. That is 173 HP per Liter or 86 HP per cyl. The peak cyl pressures are extremely high to make this kind of HP. A little corrosion pit on the electrode at these pressures and it breaks. Not worth it for the $30 for me.

To put it in perspective:

5.0 Coyote Ford V8 would be 865 HP at this level of ratio. 3.5 EcoBoost 605 HP.

To put it another way. The Hellcat Demon is 808 HP from 6.2 L That would be 130.32 HP per liter.

These engines are high strung. Plugs are cheap.
Thank you for the explanation. Certainly make sense considering the plug is such a cheap part as you said. Plus, they really are not that hard to change. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Honest question. I see a lot of people that suggest changing the plugs every year. I have done it the last two years as well. But people go for years without changing their spark plugs in cars/trucks. Why is it more important with boats?
I can answer that: A: Even if your plugs in your vehicle are 100k plugs (pretty common), you should change them at least every 50k if not 30k. Why? The performance will be at 100% so you will not notice any issues from the plug going bad....it is a 100k plug...However, simple mechanics of an aluminum block with differing metals of the plug threads PLUS heat / cold cycles of daily driving will "fuse" those plugs in your block. Note Ford had a LOT of problems with plugs breaking in their engines when they first went to 100k mile tune ups....I am sure others did as well. Antiseize has its limits on time and temp. B: As for PWC's, in the old days, we had to change plugs a few times a season (2 strokes). Plugs would foul often due to the 2 stroke oil/gas mixtures plus the high RPM we would run the machines at. The modern machines being 4 stroke are a different animal in many ways and should not have the fouling problem of the former 2 strokes. I assume some of the annual plug change is just legacy ways of thinking from the 2 stroke days. However, these are "high performance" machines unlike your car (unless you have a super car / high performance car). They run under far more extreme RPM's which generates heat and pressure that breaks down the plugs far more often hence the recommendation. In addition, you have the salt water / water / moisture factor and although the coils are pretty well sealed, salt / moist air have a way to penetrate anything. You can most likely skip the plugs for a season or so and will not see a major performance drop like we did in the 2 stoke days. However, you do not want to have a plug foul in the middle of the ocean or a lake only to be stranded. Plugs are cheap and easy to replace. Just do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back