O.P.A.S. Cylinder Support, Support Plate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkov608

I'm having trouble getting this bolt out of the O.P.A.S. support plate (I'm installing the RIVA block off kit). I understand the support plate has captive nuts, but the nut is spinning. What's the best way to get to the backside of the support plate?

View attachment 25880

You're probably not gonna like my answer much haha. Anyway I'm assuming you are doing this to your 02 GTX listed in your profile? If so then remove the seat support bracket to give you full access to the engine compartment. You wanna reach down to it and feel around to figure out what's going on. Chances are you won't get your hand and eyes on it at the same time. If it is spinning you'll need a second person to back it out as you're holding the backside. I'd have to take a look to verify everything I just told you as it has been a long time since I've done this. I'll take a peek later when I get home from work.

It's not simply a nut inside the hull; if you've looked at the parts breakdown, you'll see there's an X support bracket with captive nuts. The nut is spinning on the inside the POS plastic support bracket, so there's nothing to "hold on the backside". I'm thinking of using vice grips on the outside of the support bracket, but was checking to see if anyone out there had an experienced-based solution.

... I'm thinking of using vice grips on the outside of the support bracket, but was checking to see if anyone out there had an experienced-based solution.

The first thing that came to my mind yesterday....two man...vice grips on the inside....and if a wrench won't turn it on the outside...a cutting wheel.

Sorry...not an opas-removal-experienced-based-solution...just an ol redneck problem solver looking from the other end of the computer screen.

The first thing that came to my mind yesterday....two man...vice grips on the inside....and if a wrench won't turn it on the outside...a cutting wheel.

Sorry...not an opas-removal-experienced-based-solution...just an ol redneck problem solver looking from the other end of the computer screen.

Along the same train of thought I had. As far as experience with this goes, I've never heard of the bracket break like that. First for everything.

I finally got the bolt out without removing the exhaust system; I wasn't looking forward to that! The upper left bolt must have been installed by the shop idiot! As you can see, the captive nut was cross threaded, and it came out of the hull with the bolt.

View attachment 25891

I came up with a work-around. The open holes in the hull for the OPAS rod ends and the water line are right in line with the upper rear and lower screws.

View attachment 25892 (right side shown)

I don't really need a lot of force on the upper left screw (upper right on the right side) to hold the cover to the hull and seal the holes, so I drilled into the support bracket, dipped a stainless-steel button-head screw in RTV and installed it. After an hour on the water ... no issues. Spins are a lot easier to pull off without the OPAS veins in the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back