Nose cone question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dothadoo

So I am going to change out my wear ring and want to try the freezer trick. I have removed the nose cone but is it necessary to clean out and remove the bearings before I put it in the freezer? It is not really clear on anything I have found.

Not sure what you're asking? If you want to use the freezer trick to get the new ring in, it's the wear ring you freeze, the housing needs to be 'very warm'.. You want to shrink the wear ring, expand the housing. If you put the housing in the freezer you shrink it making things even tighter..

Not sure what you're asking? If you want to use the freezer trick to get the new ring in, it's the wear ring you freeze, the housing needs to be 'very warm'.. You want to shrink the wear ring, expand the housing. If you put the housing in the freezer you shrink it making things even tighter..

Thanks Greg. You actually put the entire housing in the freezer along with the new wear ring. The old wear ring slides right out, bc the density of the Delrin is less that the pump, so it shrinks more than the pump and allows it to come right out. I put the whole thing in the freezer last night for an hour and a half and the old ring came right out. The pump still needs to be warmer than the new wear ring when putting it in though. Much easier than cutting the old ring out though. And for the record, I did not worry about removing grease and bearings.

Now that's a new one ... freezing the whole pump to get the wear ring to fall out instead of cutting it out ... clever! Just make sure you don't have any water in the pump! If your front seal failed and there is emulsified water in the grease or water in the bearing cavity, that H20 will expand during the freezing process and possibly crack your pump. I've used the freeze the new wear ring trick (installation), and it works great!

Now that's a new one ... freezing the whole pump to get the wear ring to fall out instead of cutting it out ... clever! Just make sure you don't have any water in the pump! If your front seal failed and there is emulsified water in the grease or water in the bearing cavity, that H20 will expand during the freezing process and possibly crack your pump. I've used the freeze the new wear ring trick (installation), and it works great!

It worked great! I really didn’t want to have to cut it out. The grease in the nose cone was a nice honey color so it didn’t appear to have any water, thankfully.

Just use a Dremel and grind a slit into the old ring so it collapses on itself, you can then easily slide it out. Pop the new ring in the freezer, keep the pump in the sun and then it will slide in with little effort into your pump. Its a lot easier to remove the impeller.

Just use a Dremel and grind a slit into the old ring so it collapses on itself, you can then easily slide it out. Pop the new ring in the freezer, keep the pump in the sun and then it will slide in with little effort into your pump. Its a lot easier to remove the impeller.
I know exactly how to do it. The issue was that I didn’t want to cut it out. Much easier the way I did it, but thanks for the input. The impeller took a little more ingenuity as I don’t have a vice. I made it work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back