Newbie with a 2008 Challenger 180 (rookie mistakes~!)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltLife

Hello Friends,

I recently bought a 2008 Challenger 180 with 67 hours on it. I have never owned a boat before but I live close to the coast and usually go down and rent a pontoon boat.

I put the boat in a local river about three weeks ago for the first time. This was my first time launching and retrieving a boat. Me, the wife and kids took off for the day. Two things happened that day: I got an engine code for Engine Knocking and later on we ran out of gas. Not the end of the world and I told the family that boating is an adventure~! On the way home, filled up with 93 octane ethanol-free gas and added a can of SeaFoam...

Next time out, I shoved off from the boat ramp, got in the boat, and......nothing!! No beeping, no anything. I paddled us back to ramp and opened the battery compartment wondering if I did anything to drain the battery. I noticed that the main battery on/off switch was cracked (was not cracked when I bought it or the first time in the water) - not sure how it got cracked, but it was... I pushed it together and the boat fired right up. I left the family at the boat ramp and found a local hardware store (after I went and picked up a new pair of flip-flops after I had a blowout in the mud pulling the boat around)... I found a large clamp and made it back and clamped the switch.. Fired right up and ran great~! No engine codes and better performance (I chalked up the first episode to bad gas)... I have a switch ordered and plan to replace it this week (I'm learning a few lessons here....)

Meanwhile, me and the wife took the boat to the coast this weekend (I called it brave, a friend of mine said he had a better word for it.....) Boat ran great and we went out to Shell Island to a deserted spot and set up shop. Tent, cooler, jams, beer.. life was good! When we started to head back, the boat would rev up but no go more than about 15 mph (indicated)... I was like, what the hell? I had been reading the forum and wondered if it was cavitation?? I finally made it back to the boat ramp to load her up. I guess I had the trailer in the water too far, because the bow roller was above the boat, damn near took off my navigation lights! I looked around YoutTube to make sure I didn't make any Boat Launch Fails videos, ha ha!!! When I pulled the drain plug, the water coming out was HOT! I turned on the bilge pump and I swear it ran for 5 minutes straight, while it was also draining out of the back!! I'm still not sure how all that water got in the boat. On the way home, I passed right by Compass Lake and I told the wife I had to put it back in the water and see what was going on... We did, and it ran great - indicated 54 mph~! I guess all of the water in the engine compartment was doing something where I couldn't go fast (if anyone knows about this, please let me know)...

After our successful run in the lake, it was time to load her up and come home. Another unsuccessful load up, this time the crank arm bolt on my wench sheared off!! A couple of guys had to help me get her loaded... I'm about to order a heavy duty winch from Overtons....

I got the boat all cleaned up and in the garage ready for the next adventure... Just wanted to say hello and that it is all worth it!!! I'll get this thing figured out!!! I thought you guys could use a good laugh.....

I'm going to try and post a photo of the beach trip. Hope it works!!
See you guys around ~

SaltLife

Attachments

• IMG_8782[1].JPG
    IMG_8782[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
I hope you learn real fast before you hurt yourself or a member of your family. This is NOT funny. You must have a buddy or friend to show you the correct and safe way to launch and retrieve your boat. Also, please take a Coast Guard approved safety course before you hurt yourself or a family member.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of tips I could offer:

Always do a preflight inspection before leaving your driveway.
Make sure the engine starts
Check your fuel level
Check oil level
Check coolant level
Make sure trailer is road worthy (Check tire pressures, lights, etc).
Check pump and intake for any debris.

When putting boat back on trailer, leave the tips of the bunks out of the water. This will allow the boat to stop prior to smashing into the bow stop.

We've all had similar experiences when we were new boat owners, but you definitely need to get some more practice and a boater's class would definitely not hurt.

The hot water coming out of the drain would have me concerned that I may have a cooling system leak. Keep an eye on that in the future.

Welcome to boating.

Guys,

I appreciate your concern, but I'm a pretty careful guy. I feel like I am taking all of the needed precautions (filing float plans, have all of the safety gear on the boat, we wear life jackets at all times, etc.) Who hasn't had a few problems loading their first boat?

I appreciate the tips JPass ~ I have done ALOT of reading since our last outing and I think that you nailed it - I have been putting the trailer in too far. I'll get it the next time out~! I've started doing all of the things that you mentioned above - thanks for the warm welcome~!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back