New guy and new to PWC - looking for advice.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ractrev

Hello everyone!

I am very new to this world, and I am shopping for a couple used rides. I am going to look at a pair of GSX's - one 1996 and one 1998. They come with covers and a two place trailer.

Since they are older units, they obviously have some normal wear and tear and fading. One seat cover was replaced and the other sounds like it will need to be soon. Also, the 1998 has gauges that do not work. Both were used up to the end of season last fall (live in MN were the water gets hard in the winter), then brought to a shop to be tuned up and winterized.

I am no stranger to two stroke engines from many years of snowmobiles, but know nothing about the PWC world. I am just looking for a couple used machines to have at the lake. The owner is asking $3500 for the package, but I think he may bend a bit.

Does anyone see any red flags with these or things I should watch out for? I have been watching ads, and for our area these are not overpriced.

Hello everyone!

I am very new to this world, and I am shopping for a couple used rides. I am going to look at a pair of GSX's - one 1996 and one 1998. They come with covers and a two place trailer.

Since they are older units, they obviously have some normal wear and tear and fading. One seat cover was replaced and the other sounds like it will need to be soon. Also, the 1998 has gauges that do not work. Both were used up to the end of season last fall (live in MN were the water gets hard in the winter), then brought to a shop to be tuned up and winterized.

I am no stranger to two stroke engines from many years of snowmobiles, but know nothing about the PWC world. I am just looking for a couple used machines to have at the lake. The owner is asking $3500 for the package, but I think he may bend a bit.

Does anyone see any red flags with these or things I should watch out for? I have been watching ads, and for our area these are not overpriced.

If they're running skis I'd do a compression check on them before buying, gives you an idea where the health of the engine is.

Of course after you buy them, carbs is the concern on the 96', even if it's running I'd go through the fuel system and replace lines and so forth. On the 98' clean filters in the fuel system are important and clean injectors. I'd pull the pump out the tank on that one and at least have a look. Gauges might be an easy fix, typically they're daisy chained together.

A running ski can be a dice roll, but at least check compression, that's about the only thing that's s good indicator. 150 psi each cylinder is solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back