Need some advice on a possible purchase

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I am interested in getting a 05 RXP, (red/silver) someone is selling for $4500, it has a 2 year old NEW motor that was installed at a seadoo shop and he has all the papers for it, 120 hours on the ski, 15 on the new motor, my question is should I buy it just starting it up out of the water to hear it run and if it sounds ok get it? Reason is he wont let me lake test it due to "liability" reasons, its a nice ski but im weary that I cannot lake test it.

then u tell him to drive it and u ride on back, u dont buy a car / truck without road testin it

u will find if u read through the forum, that seldom is there a problem with a ski when its on a trailer runnin on a hose, but a good 10 - 15 minute run on the water, weather u drive or he does, problem (if any) will show itself

also check the compression -- dealers do when u trade 1 in

kbb is 5245 on that ski, but another thing is on the trailer , u cant test that supercharger either

Last edited by a moderator:
then u tell him to drive it and u ride on back, u dont buy a car / truck without road testin it

u will find if u read through the forum, that seldom is there a problem with a ski when its on a trailer runnin on a hose, but a good 10 - 15 minute run on the water, weather u drive or he does, problem (if any) will show itself

also check the compression -- dealers do when u trade 1 in

kbb is 5245 on that ski, but another thing is on the trailer , u cant test that supercharger either

Thats what I told him, you never buy a car without driving it, I may call him and at the very least have him take it out while I watch and have him zoom across the lake in front of me at full throttle once its warm to see/listen how it does, then open the engine compartment while the trailer is in the water a give it some gas to make sure the engine/supercharger is sound. There wont be anyone on the lake here anyway right now and I like th fact the motor has been replaced with a new one. We will see, come feb the market here floods with PWC's so I may get a better deal....

Do a compression test and also take the supercharger to intercooler or throttle body (same thing) hose off and (ENGINE OFF) try to spin the supercharger wheel by hand. That is an easy and reliable way to tell if the washers are there. And you'll notice a bearing failure if it won't start or the supercharger makes a grinding noise or there's metal shavings in the supercharger to throttle body hose or noticeable damage to the impeller blades. You'll definitely want to thoroughly check the bottom of the ski for ANY damage. Give the hull an inch of hull damage and it'll peel a mile! Other than that, and with no test ride, good luck!

Thats what I told him, you never buy a car without driving it, I may call him and at the very least have him take it out while I watch and have him zoom across the lake in front of me at full throttle once its warm to see/listen how it does, then open the engine compartment while the trailer is in the water a give it some gas to make sure the engine/supercharger is sound. There wont be anyone on the lake here anyway right now and I like th fact the motor has been replaced with a new one. We will see, come feb the market here floods with PWC's so I may get a better deal....

At a minimum I would have a shop look at it and give you their opinion. Might cost money but repairs are MORE expensive!

ok, I am interested in getting a 05 RXP, (red/silver) someone is selling for $4500, it has a 2 year old NEW motor that was installed at a seadoo shop and he has all the papers for it, 120 hours on the ski, 15 on the new motor, my question is should I buy it just starting it up out of the water to hear it run and if it sounds ok get it? Reason is he wont let me lake test it due to "liability" reasons, its a nice ski but im weary that I cannot lake test it.

Don't walk....run....run away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back