need help with my gsx limited project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
so, I bought a 1997.5 gsx limited that was a hull and a box of parts. Engine was ruined and in pieces along with some other stuff. The engine and carbs have been rebuilt and installed and everything else has been put back together. Currently, when I put the key on there is no beep...beep, and the gauges are dead. It does start and run, but doesn't run right. The gauges are still dead when running. My mechanic who built the engine and carbs works full time in a jet ski repair shop and competes in ski competitions in his spare time. He works on his own skis. He did the work in his garage where, admittedly, he didn't have all the diagnostic tools, but he knows his stuff. He said "the voltage is jumping all over the place" and points to replacing the amplifier (part 278 001 252) as the cure. What I have read says the amplifier controls a solenoid that keeps the air/fuel ratio in the carbs correct. The amp has about 20 wires attached to it. More than what seems to be needed to control a solenoid. Does the amp control voltage, as well ? Can it be responsible for the no beep, beep and the dead gauges ? any help is appreciated. thanks

Never heard of an "amplifier" on a seadoo. There is the MPEM which controls spark and timing. The fuel/air is controlled mechanically by the carbs. Voltage jumping sounds like a bad voltage regulator. I believe on the 951, the voltage regulator is the brick with fins style regulator with the two plugs. One has 3 yellow wires, the other a red and black. If you just disconnect the red/black connector, it should run better. Test this and see if the voltage stops jumping. You can also water test it this way, but don't go far, as you're not charging your battery with that unplugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back