My frist BMW.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
It was quite a journey owning and repairing 2006 Volkswagen Diesel Beetle but I guess I like that kinda stuff cuz I did it again. Gave the Beetle away and after copious amounts of research replaced it with a 2016 BMW 528i. I gotta get the owner's manual out just to figure out how to work the buttons. LOL Strange vehicle but such a great ride. Owning the BMW will not doubt make the DIs seem simple. Ha ha.

You know us Seadoo restorers look for "Deals" in everything we do. :D :D Much cheaper than the $65k new BMW. It's a big plus to be able to maintain this car yourself. Gonna be interesting but with 28k miles on it... hopefully it has lots of life left on the mechanical end.

BMW 528i 2016  (4).JPEG

You know what they say about BMW'S, the best day is when you buy it and sell it.😉 As long as you can wrench on it yourself you will be good to go. It is a nice looking car!

Thanks !! I was actually looking at the older cars for a good ride. Grandpa Lincolns, Caddys and such. When I drove one of these I was absolutely shocked at the ride. Too cool !!
I will be interested to see how they are to work on, our youngest son was looking for his first car right up until about 4 days ago when I finally pulled the trigger on a 2009 Hyundai Elantra for 800.00. My cousin has a few BMW’s, I had talked to him about them and he was raving about how good the traction on them was in the snow but because they had been sitting for so long and had super high miles I was scared to purchase one from him. It’s my understanding though that they are well built vehicles.

From what I see parts are very expensive, insurance is more expensive due to repair part costs. It is German and what I found from owning the VW Diesel Beetle for 17 years is that German engineering is different than in the US and so is their approach to maintenance. One of the reasons I didn't mind buying the BMW was that I have experience working on and troubleshooting the European stuff. I also have a cousin that owns a nice size auto repair shop and he works on anything and everything. I once asked him what was the best car to get "maintenance and reliability"and he said "they are all good as long as they are working." :D

I finally drove the car today. I like it !! The accessories are very very impressive. I'm smiling because the average agregate age of my vehicle fleet just increased dramatically. :D :D I still have the 2003 Silverado which I call my yard truck with 270k miles. Paint is pitiful but the stereo is great and seats are soooo comfortable. I may keep it and restore it little by little and have a nice classic one day. I should probably remove the it from my fleet calculations. :)

From what I see parts are very expensive, insurance is more expensive due to repair part costs. It is German and what I found from owning the VW Diesel Beetle for 17 years is that German engineering is different than in the US and so is their approach to maintenance. One of the reasons I didn't mind buying the BMW was that I have experience working on and troubleshooting the European stuff. I also have a cousin that owns a nice size auto repair shop and he works on anything and everything. I once asked him what was the best car to get "maintenance and reliability"and he said "they are all good as long as they are working." :D

I finally drove the car today. I like it !! The accessories are very very impressive. I'm smiling because the average agregate age of my vehicle fleet just increased dramatically. :D :D I still have the 2003 Silverado which I call my yard truck with 270k miles. Paint is pitiful but the stereo is great and seats are soooo comfortable. I may keep it and restore it little by little and have a nice classic one day. I should probably remove the it from my fleet calculations. :)
I’m thinking that those parts that are a little more expensive are going to end up being good quality though, Sounds to me like your going to thoroughly enjoy this car👍

Congrats on your new car, enjoy.

Having said that, every single person that I know that has had BMW's have had nothing but issues.
Suspension parts that wear out, electrical issues and as you said, parts are expensive.
One had front lower control arms that would wear out the molded in rubber mounts every few years, window regulators that would go out over and over. His research came along the lines of "they all do that".
The worst were the multiple small coolant hoses buried in the engine that start to leak causing hours of disassembly just to get to them.

Back