Mandating Lifejackets IN the boat?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Sara

I heard on CanadaAM this morning that there is a push up here in Canada to mandate lifejackets while in the boat regardless whether your fishing, or whatever.

Personally, my husband would have an issue with that as hes a big guy - and fitting behind the steering wheel is already a tight fit. (No tilt Steering)
If he buys one of those expensive inflatable jackets - he would have to change to a regular vest type when he gets out waterskiing.

What about when the boat is anchored - and your just lying out on the sunpad?

Before any new rules come into force - Im hoping that the forces that may be will clearly think things through.

I already thought this was the norm, I am glad I have my vest when I fall asleep and slide into the water.

Lifejackets

I got stopped last weekend. "and a warning"
For Seadoo Boats: Lifejackets must be within reach.
NOT STORED UNDER THE SEATS = $240.00 Fine.
I would like to know if the laws have changed?

(Stopped in Midland)

Adam.

I know the OPP are pushing for lifejackets to be worn, especially on smaller boats - too many drownings - I can honestly say I don't have a problem with it on smaller boats, my old 30'er not likely.

If I'm boating by myself, the jacket is on - when I'm with others and if it's not on - it's right beside me.

I think its fair to allow life-vests as mandatory when you are underway on a PWC and for children under 18 for any other craft. It saves lives and most boating accidents resulting in death is due to no life-vest.

I may be opening myself up here, but I honestly don't think its an age thing. There are many adults that can't swim very well, I used to be one hell of a swimmer, 20 years, and 50 lbs. ago. The renewed interest has a lot to do with guys in small fishing / 16 ft. aluminum type boats either getting swamped or falling out and not being able to get back in the boat. If you run aground or hit a dead head in a 45'er, you've got time to put your life jacket on - if one of your buddies stands up the wrong way in a small aluminum boat and you're ass over tea kettle - there is no time - you're wet.
As for the age thing, 12 year old daughter dove off the side of a schooner with a bunch of other people and headed for the hot springs in Greece before I could get my suit on and go after her - I was concerned for her, but likely they would have been hauling my fat butt out - she swam out and back just fine.
Just my .02

I added the age mandate to provide an option for those who think they are privileged enough to be allowed an option. Similar to seat-belts in cars, Life vests should be mandatory. A Brampton man drowned while trying to swim in his jeans and he almost took out the man trying to save him, because a panicking swimmer always causes to bring down their rescuer - so soon life vests should be made mandatory for swimmers, let alone boaters. If the inconvenience is that you are too large and take up too much room in a boat with the vest on, then you should be very concerned for your health, and anyone who is considered overweight should realize how much more difficult a rescue becomes if you don't have a life vest. I've been boating for 30 years and I know its a pain to have a vest on at all times, but recently using a PWC I feel it should be made mandatory for everyone. I'm not over-weight but at 210 lbs I'm not an easy rescue and I value my life enough to understand an ounce of prevention...

Anyway, we often feel it can't happen to us -

I recall that when seatbelt laws came into effect, there was a lot of resistance. Honestly (flame retardant vest placed firmly over my head), I see a lifevest law as a natural progress of both safety conscious and risk averse society. Finally lawmakers in Canada have come to their senses and came up with law that makes sense. :hurray:

Perhaps I am more safety consious than most - I am a CCG contractor who has worked on man overboard and emergency locator beacons.

The next step is to mandate PLBs for all small boat owners :reddevil:. So what do y'all think of THAT one.

Based on the previous posts, I know I am making myself the bad guy (aka cold hearted sob), but I have to disagree with most of you. Firstly I think that all safety precautions should be mandatory for under 18s. No question about that. Also, any activity that endangers other people should eliminated/controlled (speeding, DUI, etc.etc.)

BUT, I am a big fan of Darwin and I say let natural selection take it's course. If individuals choose to expose themselves to unnecessary risk... let them. I like to believe that the majority of people who wear seatbelts, helmets and lifejackets do it for their own safety and not just to avoid a fine. Really we have only a few possible scenarios; one to each extreme and one in the middle.

A: We eliminate ALL dangerous, unnecessary activities/ IE: Ban PWC, Ban unattended swimming, Ban Motorcycles, reduce highway speed to 50 kmph. We take a huge step to the dark side (communism) and we're always late lol.

B: Some random committee draws an arbitrary moral line that is enforced by law. IE: we can drive 110kmph but must wear a seatbelt. We can have small boats and PWC, but must have PFDs.

C: We choose to let adult individuals expose themselves to as much risk as they please. I admit, the downside is the families of the people who die as a result and perhaps an increase in health care costs as there would be more injuries, but also more immediate deaths. Police can actually focus on Crime.

Of course the only realistic option is B. I realize that. I just don't like the fact that some random people make rules that (to me) directly affect only myself, but I must obey these laws. </rant>

I too am fond of Darwin, unfortunately, a lot of these darwinians have children - so your point about affecting others is probably the one that I tend to concentrate on.

Was pulled over last week on my ski. Was explained to me that you do not have to have it on but that you then have to have on board more safety items. I think one of them was a flare.

I had just purchased the Canadian tire safety kit for 7.77 and the officer was aware that the flashlight included did not come with batteries. Had another flashlight so no issues. They were good to deal with and no issues. This was in Hamilton Harbour.

Back