Low compression after sitting for 8 years

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gary732

I recently inherited a 2002 Gti with a 718cc motor.It sat for 8 years or so because it leaked water into the hull. Has spark but doesn't run. I checked compression and got 75and 80 psi in the two cylinders. Could the rings be stuck in the piston grooves or am I definitely looking at a top end rebuild ? I put some oil in the cylinders after the first compression test and got 130/150 psi. but I suppose that doesn't really prove anything?

Adding oil won't tell you anything on these engines.
Assuming the compression is 75-80 it might not start.

Also sitting that long your fuel system is trashed and needs to be gone through carefully.

I would put a little premix down the carbs and see if you can get it to fire off. The compression might come up if you get it to run.

Finally do not use a Harbor Freight compression gauge.

Last edited:
I recently inherited a 2002 Gti with a 718cc motor.It sat for 8 years or so because it leaked water into the hull. Has spark but doesn't run. I checked compression and got 75and 80 psi in the two cylinders. Could the rings be stuck in the piston grooves or am I definitely looking at a top end rebuild ? I put some oil in the cylinders after the first compression test and got 130/150 psi. but I suppose that doesn't really prove anything?

recently I honed my cylinders and installed new rings....
#1 140 psi now 153 psi
#2 120 psi now 153 psi

I've freed up rings with solvent over several days.
why not do what I did?....chances are a huge improvement will happen

Many times I've read where adding oil then doing a compression check with an improvement indicates ring issue....stuck or worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back