Just bought a Challenger with no motor. Where do I start?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry M

I just bought a 97 Challenger 150 (I think) for $300. I got a sweet trailer with brand new tires and springs, and the lights work so the boat was a bonus. The upholstery is shot but I just took that out and I am planning on getting this thing revived. I can take care of all cosmetic issues no problem and I work at a boat manufacturing plant so I have a pretty good network for different things, however, I have yet to find someone savy with jet boats/motors. I'm looking for a good place to start. I know I need an engine obviously, and from what I've read so far I'm looking for a 787 rotax. It looks like the jet drive is there, all the cables, shifter, gas tank, pretty much everything but the motor. My mechanical knowledge is slim, but I got a buddy that's great with any engine, he just doesn't have experience with jet boats. Should I go ahead and get a motor first and go from there? Can I test the jet drive without the motor? I'm completely lost on where to start, any help is great

Attachments

• 20200815_135304.jpg
    20200815_135304.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
Nice boat
Mine is a 1997 challenger with the 787 engine
I love it
It’s my first boat and have had it for 2 months

I would suggest to go to facebook
And add yourself to

seadoo speedster challenger sportster
Page
people respond real quick
They can send you videos and pictures
And you can communicate directly with people in private
That’s what has worked the best for me to get things quickly

Attachments

• 4D7585B7-DBBF-4030-AD10-31EEB48B13E5.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 7
Add yourself to this forum on facebook
You will find out all you need

Attachments

• 8A422350-5FD4-4173-8A55-9CA2840FB637.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
You can buy new engines at SBT in Florida, used ones would probably be worn out. Buy the service manual for it and save yourself a ton of headaches.

Nice buy Larry. Take your time shop around you will be able to find a good motor. The off season always brings good deals. Between you, your buddy and Seadooforum.com no worries. That boat is gonna be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back