Just a Quick Carb Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezzibob

Hello everyone just wanted to start off by saying Hi, my name is Bobby and I am new to the site and love it; it has a ton of information.

Just to tell you a little about my situation… I have never been into pwc’s to much but a friend of a friend gave me a 1996 Seadoo GTX the engine size is 787cc. The ski was in pieces but he said it ran before he let it site for over 3 years. He brought it somewhere to get it worked on and they said the fuel system failed. He didn't want to put money into the ski because he never used it, so many moons ago he tried to do it himself. When i took a look at, thinking it was going to be junk, I was shocked to see that he had the intake ports covered up. I was like "Great Sign" so I removed the spark plugs and sprayed a little fogging oil into the cylinders and jumped the starter, the engine turned right over. So I sat there and thought to myself “hey, I will fix the ski and give it to my nephews” so I took the ski and all its parts (was quite shocked to see the trailer made it) and I went home.

And this is what I have done.
The carbs where in a box with what I would assume is a flame arrestor, the oddest air filter i have ever seen and an air box (with no hardware). The carbs where in pretty bad condition but I decided to soak them in gas for a few days to see if the butterfly’s would free up a little bit (but they didn't) and to clean. While soaking the carbs to rebuild them I saw that the fuel lines where those gray fuel lines. I had some lines sitting around so I replaced them all and cleaned the selector switch, fuel pick-up (in the tank), and the fuel filters canister. I cleaned the tank and oil tank and installed them.
Now back to the carbs. I had a few questions. Does the second carbs butterfly plate close all of the way or is there a small gap(mine has a gap not matching the other carb)? And on that same carburetor is the plate supposed to spring back to close or do you have to manually put it back? Mine takes a little muscle to move (I would say 10-15ft-lbs of torque). I was thinking that the plate was bent and I am going to have to replace them. If I have to replace them what other years/models/engine size may I use to replace them? Or does anyone have a set that they would like to sell or know of a place to buy a set. I would like them to be the same set because I jumped the gun and already ordered rebuild kits for them.

Thank you in advance,
Bobby

You can probably find a set of used carbs rebuilt and ready to go from Minnetonka4you, find one of his posts and personal message him.

Or ebay might get you a used set that needs rebuilding?

For very stubborn carbs, an overnight sleepover with a non-volatile solvent such as simple green in your wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner can work wonders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back