It that time again!:)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Googus

Well folks after one year hiatus I am going to be buying a new ski. Now comes the hard part in picking one out. I tell you is is worst then buying a car.
I used to have a 2012 GTR215 now over all is was a good ski to me. But it did need a new wear ring, Corbin washer, and a IBR actuator.
I looked briefly at the Yamahas and they just don't look great to me. My mechanic said by Yamaha- Seadoos are junk he services 3-1.

Some factors
I really want either no wake speed and cruise control.
I am leaning toward a N/A engine only.
Because of maintenance cost and reliability.

I am leaning towards gti 155 limited of gtx155

The big question will I miss the supercharger?
Is the limited version a waste of money?
I had the GTI hull is the new Hull better?

Thank you
Greg

Last edited:
Why did a 2012 GTR need a VTR motor? I’m looking at the GTR 230. Keep in mind the 230’s are supposedly maintenance free super chargers. New design. And 89 fuel is the normal fuel for it.

Why did a 2012 GTR need a VTR motor? I’m looking at the GTR 230. Keep in mind the 230’s are supposedly maintenance free super chargers. New design. And 89 fuel is the normal fuel for it.

Sorry spell check really jack up my post.
It was the IBR actuator located in the engine bay by the muffler. No idea why it failed One day I was out and an error code flashed and the ski went into limp mode.
I saw that the superchargers are maintenance free but I don't really see how. I didn't really use my ski too much for flogging it around. I did mostly cruising and such that is why I want the cruise control. I would assume the 155 has plenty of power for what I need.
( power would be great!) but really want this ski to last a long time. Just like my twin turbo truck that had problems too. I created my own theory the lest moving parts the better.

Another big thing I just found out that the new GTX is down 20gal in storage from previous year and the GTI hull. Hard decisions

I have a 2007 GTI SE 155 and it is my first ski. I didn’t want the maintenance and added complexity of a used supercharged ski, and I have been pleased with my decision. Trouble free operation for 4 years now and plenty of power for me. Does 58MPH with my 225 lb body and can outrun the newer 130 and 155 skis. Unless you are a power freak, 155 hp is all you need. You don’t get much if any more top speed with the supercharger, but get to top speed a quicker, which is exciting. I prefer the prior generation storage capacity and design too. But I am going to a demo day today, so maybe I could change my mind -

Tough decision. I really like the new ST3 hull on the GTX and TX. i like the new 2 piece seat design and rear cargo options also. From people I have talked with who have ridden it, they have all said its more stable, rides better in chop, and cuts much harder with the vts down. It seems like a perfect mesh between an rxpx and rxtx/GTI. Storage is down in volume but supposedly it's more usable space but hard to tell.

I bought the rxpx 300 last year and absolutely love it. $200 to remove the GPS speed limiter and it was easily hitting 74 mph stock and rips your arms off getting there. It's getting the Riva stage 2 treatment as soon as it comes out of storage. 155 vs ant supercharged ski is 10-15 mph difference but some people don't care.

I also would like an N/A 155 ski for touring or a loaner to replace a 97 GTX. Personally if I only had one ski the 155 just would not excite me enough. The 300 does suck down fuel like no other though, lol.

If you think a 155 will be sufficient I would lean towards the 155 GTX to get the new hull. Maybe a local dealer has a demo ski you can try out?

I didn't know about the supercharger maintenance and the carbon ring problem when I bought my RXT 260 a few years ago ((( When I bought it I thought a BRP product would be goof proof but man was I wrong, I'm rebuilding my supercharger right now and I only got 25 hrs from my new carbon ring. Checking into these things is a good idea before you buy, if I had known about these issues and how much they cost to repair I would have never bought one.

Supercharger rebuilds were at 200 hours on later skis before going maintenance free on the 300s. $450 to have someone rebuild it isn't much every 200 hours if you ask me if you can take it off and ship out yourself.

The carbon ring is just a normal maintenance item and should last a long time unless you run the ski out of the water too long or the engine is misaligned. It takes seconds to check it a few times a year to make sure there is no issue. It's also only about $60 in parts and an hour to replace yourself. it's a good idea to replace the wear ring at the same time since you'll have the pump off anyways.

Supercharger rebuilds were at 200 hours on later skis before going maintenance free on the 300s. $450 to have someone rebuild it isn't much every 200 hours if you ask me if you can take it off and ship out yourself.

The carbon ring is just a normal maintenance item and should last a long time unless you run the ski out of the water too long or the engine is misaligned. It takes seconds to check it a few times a year to make sure there is no issue. It's also only about $60 in parts and an hour to replace yourself. it's a good idea to replace the wear ring at the same time since you'll have the pump off anyways.
The manual for my Doo states that the supercharger needs maintenance at 200 hrs or 2 years, whichever comes first. Anyways these are expenses that I feel they could have eliminated long before the 300's came out, my boat is never run out of the water however it does draw up some sand when it is launched and it runs on a river which has some turbidity so I know these factors help the carbon ring to fail early on mine. But I think they could have come up with something better as there are millions of boats out there with a simple grease seal, but the need to be greased so maybe that is why they steered away from those.

Yeah they used to be 200 or 2 years, then with the later kits it switched to 200 hours regardless of time.

The older Doos had a bearing carrier setup, both of my 95 XP 800s have them. The issue was that people suck at general maintenance and when they don't get greased every few rides they eventually lock up and it rips the hull insert out of the fiberglass, sinks the ski, then is a pain to repair. I guess they figure the carbon seal is more idiot proof. if yamaha and kawasaki make it work reliably though I with seadoo would reconsider. I know a lot of guys who have switched their older skis to bearing carrier setup, but ive never looked I to it for newer skis.

I never leave any of my skis floating overnight due to the carbon seal though. I small piece of seaweed or slow leak could sink it.

Last edited:
Well back from dealer and got their best OTD with trailer and all tags.
2017 gti155 limited 13k even
2018 GTX 155 with sound 14,300
2018 GTX 230 limited 16,600

I am leaning toward going all in on the $$$$230. Even though I like the N/A engine and think it would be enough for me I am
Concern after owning a GTR215 I will miss the supercharger.
The 230 is maintenance free supercharger too

I didn't like the GTX limited color scheme when it was announced last year, but I actually do like it now. It's a lot for a ski but when comparing 2k or so difference, you just have to go with what you really want/like.

I paid 14k otd last may for my 16 rxpx 300 leftover. they wanted almost 3k more for the 17 and they are identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back