Is this a good deal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was in the market I would make it a point to go see it and RIDE IT BEFORE I BUY IT.
On the surface it appears to be a strong candidate. With only 20 hrs, it should show like new inside and out.
Some of the things to look for:

Hull Condition- Crawl under it and inspect it from bow to stern. Some light scatching is normal. If you see concentrations of scratching or gouging on the bow... that would indicate 'shore parking' and increases the chances of debris being sucked up the intake grate.

Intake grate- Bring a small flashlight with you and look up into the grate cavity. The driveshaft should be clean and shiny with little to no rust. The boot (the rubber sleeve on the shaft right in front of the impeller/prop) should be free from damage and hugging the shaft.The impeller edges should be smooth and straight. Notice the collar that the impeller edges are in tight tolerance to. That is called the Wear Ring. It should be smooth and free of deep scratches and gouging. Ingested sticks and rocks will mess up blade edges and wear rings, and can ruin them!

Pump/Nozzle/Reverse Gate/Linkage- At the stern is your external propulsion system. There should be no missing connections. Look for nuts on all threaded shafts. (Again, with only 20 hrs it should be like new back there) Gently but firmly grab the Reverse Gate and pull it down over the jet nozzle. It should slide easily but not loose and sloppy. The reverse grab handle up by the handle bars should move up and down. Grab the Jet Nozzle and swing it left and right. The handle bars should swing in unison.

Bilge- pull the seats off, lift the 'hood', pull out the storage tray, and inspect the bilge area for cleanliness with that flahlight. No fluids, oil, coolant, should be found on the bottom.

I noticed in the pictures it does not have Nevada identification, Nevada tags, or Lake Meade Recreation Area annual tags on it. Ask the owner if it's been in the water here yet. (I'd keep the tag info to myself...nod nod, wink wink, and see how he responds) You can get on the water without tags and ID, but you wont get through a Ranger Station at he lake without paying a fee.

Also be aware that your model RXP has an inherent superchager issue re: internal ceramic clutch washers that MUST be replaced with metal washers sooner than later. Others will chime in on that subject...It SHOULD NOT be a deal breaker IMO. Ask the seller If its had the SC washers replaced. I'd bet $ the answer will be no.

When the lanyard is placed on the DESS post (ignition Post) You should hear a BEEP BEEP indicating the computer has read the key and all systems are go, and it should start without a problem.

If your comfortable with all this, go for it and good luck to you. I'd try and knock the price down a bit (using any damage I find and the ceramic washers as leverage) but that's just me.

If you're a newbie and aren't settled with all this... call Pro Marine on Lake Meade Dr. in Henderson, Ask for Jesse in the Service Dept. and ask him what he'd charge you for a pre-purchase inspection. If I cant DIY something with the help of this forum, he's the ONLY guy in the valley I'd let touch my RXT's. (And even then I dont like it too much)

If Ive missed anything throw a post back out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks nice, it sounds real nice, it's supercharger almost surely needs the washer's replaced but that's neither hard nor expensive to do if you're at all mechanically inclined.

You want to test drive it though, at least 5-10 minutes don't do anything crazy with it but drive it around check for good strong accelleration... you wouldn't pay that much for a used automobile with no warranty without driving it 1st, ditto for a watercraft! If there's a problem, once money changes hands it's YOUR PROBLEM!

2005 year model has ceramic supercharger slip washers which you WILL want to replace with steel upgrade washers just ASAP (about $100 to do it yourself and one afternoon under a shade tree to pull and reinstall the supercharger). Also, the exhaust valve stems are hollow (sodium filled) and the stems have been known to crack and break popping the valve head off inside the cylinder (bad mojo, very very expensive to repair!). Just be aware that these are things you will need to deal with if you purchase this machine.... the supercharger ceramic washers are a top priority to get replaced with steel washers, and frankly I think I'd want those hollow exhaust valves replaced with the stronger steel valves during the wintertime before running it too much (another poster on here just posted that his '04 just broke 2 valve heads off inside his engine this weekend! Eeek!).

Most often the killers of these 4TEC engines are the Supercharger (if it comes apart it does so INSIDE the engine case and makes a mess in there requring the engine to be pulled out and completely disassembled to get all the broken parts out), followed by a broken exhaust valve or two (destroys the piston and cylinder wall at a minumum). Also a few people have had problems with the starter gear/flywheel to crankshaft bolts breaking which is expensive but doesn't tear up the engine it just ruins the charging/PTO system, but this seems to be very rare based on my reading over the past 3 years since I bought my RXT.

- Michael

Even if it is in good condition I would want it for less than the asking price. It is a 2005 ski and not worth $6500 in my opinion. I would assume he will go lower.

It looks good online, if it looks and rides as good in person then since it's some 7 years old I would make an offer of $5500 cash... and go up to perhaps $6K cash, but more than $6K I think I'd walk away from it and keep looking. Cash talks, bring $6K in cash with you.

It is an RXP not an RXT (RXT is larger, a 3-seater... RXP is a tight 2-seater). It likely needs the ceramic clutch washers replaced with steel upgrades, and you will want to seriously consider having those hollow exhaust valves replaced over the winter... and winter is right around the corner now, you probably won't get to use it very much this year as a result so you can spend all winter long looking for a newer year model with less than 100 hrs with these issues either already dealt with or non-issues (for later year models '08 to present) so... all good reasons to start with a $5500 offer with only $500 of wiggle room to negotiate with. I too think $6500 is a premium price for it.

Regards and good luck!

- Michael

Thank you!

The seller is not very responsive.

If I manage to make him show the ski and let mi ride it will see what is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back