Intercooler water cold one engine hot the other

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosl2

Just got done with doing some work on my challenger 215s port engine. New HG, thermostat housing…etc. Testing both engines out on the hose to top off coolant on the port and make sure all is good. I noticed something strange.

Port engines IC water is cold
Starboard engine IC water fairly hot.
Engines are still factory with internal IC, there is no blockage on the port where it’s coming out cold. I pressure tested it when I had the intake off and it flows nicely. I did not test the starboard becuase I never had a problem with that engine.

I noticed this when I disconnect my hose and the water runs back out of the flush port. The one engine comes out cool the other hot.

Thoughts?

Water should be hot, not so much from IC, but from the exhaust jacket where it really picks up some heat. Check all your hose routing against the engine that works correctly. "Just got done doing some work" is the most likely culprit.

Water should be hot, not so much from IC, but from the exhaust jacket where it really picks up some heat. Check all your hose routing against the engine that works correctly. "Just got done doing some work" is the most likely culprit.
I will take a look tomorrow, makes sense to me. No idea why the one I took apart would not get hot one bit when draining. The water draining from the engine I didn’t take apart starts warm when it drains then gets pretty hot. Prob from when it’s sitting in there with the hose off engine running, time it takes for me to run and turn engines off. Pull the hose off, it’s absorbing the heat from exhaust during this time

I swear it’s all routed correctly but a second check can’t hurt.

Remember that the flush port is actually the exit port of the raw water cooling system, not the intake port.

When you hook up the hose, you are actually feeding water backwards from the on water path, which is from the pressurized side of the jet pump and exits via the flush port.

The system is simple in that the water comes from the pump to the exhaust manifold then back out the flush port. This circuit has a tap on it to feed water into the stand pipe and exhaust can, as well as a tap to feed the IC.

The minute you turn off the hose, the remaining water in the system will heat quickly and will drain from the shortest least restrictive gravity path. This may be different for each engine based on hose routing and length, which is why you might see differences.

Remember that the flush port is actually the exit port of the raw water cooling system, not the intake port.

When you hook up the hose, you are actually feeding water backwards from the on water path, which is from the pressurized side of the jet pump and exits via the flush port.

The system is simple in that the water comes from the pump to the exhaust manifold then back out the flush port. This circuit has a tap on it to feed water into the stand pipe and exhaust can, as well as a tap to feed the IC.

The minute you turn off the hose, the remaining water in the system will heat quickly and will drain from the shortest least restrictive gravity path. This may be different for each engine based on hose routing and length, which is why you might see differences.
I would not call it simple. It can be misleading. In normal operation (on my boat anyway) raw water comes from the jet pump directly to the IC, then directly to the exhaust manifold (from forward to aft) then it splits and goes into the exhaust pipe in two places, plus out the flush line, all at the same time.

When using the flush line, water comes from the flush port to a junction where it goes to the exhaust pipe and the exhaust manifold (from aft to forewarn) at the same time. The water that goes through the manifold then flows backwards through the intercooler, and exits through the jet pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back